PDA

View Full Version : Problem with scope??

lawki
12-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Ok so I got a Ruger M77 Mark II.30-06 that has an older version of a Redfield Scope 3-9X40. By older version I mean before Leopuld bought the company and re-introduced them as Redfield Revolution.

I am having an issue with keeping a zero. I have a laser bore sight scope that I use to make sure I am at least close to dead on, but seems that the scope is off. Now I don't know if it the scope or the shooter (me) that is having the issue.

I am thinking of chaning the scope out for a Nikon Pro-Staff 3-9X40 to verify if it is the scope just shifting. Other than putting alot of rounds through the gun to confirm my suspicion that the scope if what is failing, anyone else know a good process to test or verify this issue?

riverhog
12-12-2010, 12:29 PM
what ammo are you using ? are you shooting off a bench ? the old redfields are excellent scopes- but i'm partial to nikon- some rifles don't like certail bullets and will throw them around, might just be the ammo- check all screws on your rings to make sure they are tight. i have that same gun in a 264 win mag, took a while to find a bullet that it liked

cabledad
12-12-2010, 01:17 PM
I just put a Redfield Revelution on my new 300 whisper and it shoots great,as good as I can shoot.If I don't use sandbags I can't hold still enought to shoot for beans,Anyway good luck.Chuck

lawki
12-14-2010, 06:00 AM
not using a rest or a sled of any kind. shooting federal 150 gr.

lawki
12-14-2010, 06:04 AM
i pretty much hold the gun and brace my elbow on a table top or the top of my seat on my atv and shoot.

SirVival
12-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Hmmm,...Only thing you can do to make sure it isn't the scope itself is to eliminate all of the variables which it COULD be. Maybe try some of these things....

1) Unscrew everything and clean it's surface. Tap holes, screws, rings, scope housing, etc. (Brake cleaner makes an excellent cleaner.) Be sure to re-oil all your srfaces after claening.

2) Use either teflon tape or yellow lock-tite on all the screws, and re-assemble using specified torque levels.

Every point of contact you have offers a chance of variance. So if you do all these things, then you can rule out the exterior forces of the inaccuracy.....

After that, may be a gun issue, a round issue, a gun AND round issue, a shooter issue, or an internal issue with the scope itself. Again, you have to eliminate the variables to determine the cause.

1) A clamp-down style bench rest will easily eliminate the possibility of shooter movement during zeroing.

2) Try changing bullets. Just as certain bullets perform exceptionally well with certain guns, certain rounds DON'T perform when being shot out of certain guns.

3) Last resort would be to take the gun iteself to a gunsmith to ensure everything is okie-dokie with it.

4) After that, it very well may be an internal issue with the scope's mechanics. (But then youcan buy a new scopehttp://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/thumleft.gif)

Good luck!

txbhunter1
12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I have the same issue with my Rem. Mod 770 in .270. It has a Bushnell scope and absolutely will not hold a zero. Gonna use that scope for target practice after I put a Nikon on it. LOL!!!!!!

ggonzales
12-15-2010, 08:45 AM
I have a scope problem also, but mine is that the scope looks real blury and not clear and it's a nice brand, but I plan to just scrap it and put another nice piece on their, possibly something with low light viz for shooting pigs late in the evening

riverhog
12-16-2010, 03:15 PM
have you adjusted your eye releif, that will sometimes make the scope be out of focus, if the eye releif is to much or less

DallasCamo1
12-26-2010, 10:22 AM
I thought I had the same problem with my 270. I changed from Rmington 150 grain to Hornaday 130 and it shoots right on every time. I think the biggest issue was the change from 150 to 130 grain. A friend of mine said for consistant accuracy he shoots a 130 grain in his as well.

txbhunter1
12-26-2010, 10:58 AM
I shoot the Federal Fusion 130gr and have shot the 150gr as well and have the same issues with both bullets. I shoot these same bullets out of my Browning .270 with a Nikon scope and have no issues at all.