PDA

View Full Version : Qustions from a greenhorn

OklahomaGirl
02-14-2011, 05:09 PM
First Q. Do you everlet the dogs make the kill? I know a lot of people use them to find and hold the hog til they get to it.

And just for kicks and giggles....would pups from a 1/2 heeler 1/2 black mouth cur crossed to saya pit or catahoula get your intrest? The pup in my profile pic is the heeler/cur, and I don't know if Iever will breed or hunt with her but it was a thought I had...

riverhog
02-16-2011, 04:12 AM
sometimes on small pigs thereis no choice dogs have them killed before you can get to them. larger pigs, dogs will bay them and catch dog will hold them until you catch or kill them. most of my dogs are a blackmouth cross or mountain curr crosses, have 2 full blood blackmouths. any dog will make a hog dog if it has the heart and want to to hunt hogs, have had some that wanted to hunt, but when the pig was bayed and fighting them, they would run, only way is to put them on pigs and see how they do. buddy of mine hunts only heeler crosses, pretty good dogs

OklahomaGirl
03-28-2011, 06:38 PM
ok, thanks. thats what I was thinking. Me and my brother have been talking about taking our dogs out, we have 4, maybe 5 between the two of of that we think mite take to it. Worth a shot.

Is there a good place to list pups? It turns out that Bella (the blackmouth/heeler) was bred by my brothers pointer. I tryed to keep them apart but I guess my timing was off....anyways I'm fixing to have some working typ pups. They are going to be big, happy, loving, out going pups. but not house dogs. I don't really know anyone around here that would treat them right...

thanks again