PDA

View Full Version : Snake protection

Tattoojoe
03-21-2011, 04:16 AM
Hey all,

I am in the process of planning a hunt at Dos Plumas (no idea how excited I am :) ) and I am trying to get my gear together, and have some questions regarding snake protection. I have never used anything and have no idea where to begin. Ive found gators at Cabelas as well as a variety of boots from all kionds of places. I just want to make sure I am safe in thehunt. I am on somewhat of a buget as teaching English in Taiwan isnt the best paying job LOL. So ANY ideas are welcomed.

Thanks guys!!

http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/salut.gif

txbhunter1
03-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Allen has some out there for sure, but in the several times I have been there, I have had no issues with the snakes. And that was even during some spot and stalk hunts. But............................they are there. Hogs have a good way of taking care of snakes, they eat them. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tattoojoe
03-21-2011, 04:10 PM
WOW.. did not know that. Thanks ot the info.

cabledad
03-21-2011, 04:26 PM
I just got through rereading Lonesome Dove on the first page mentions the 2 pigs pulling a rattler apart.I have seen a few pictures with sores on hogs that are supposed to be snake bites.Snake bites I hear are terrible painful and make your skin corrode off.I need to get me some new hitop boots.Good luck.Chuck

Tattoojoe
03-21-2011, 05:35 PM
To be on the safe side I think I will be looking into some knee boots. Ive seen some of the monsters in Texas....7+ feet.

txbhunter1
03-23-2011, 04:30 PM
And that's a baby one too. LOL!!!!!!!

Tattoojoe
03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
...I'm gonna need a bigger gun

SouthTexasPighunter
03-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Joe whatever you do stay away from the Cheepie ones(BOOTS) Redhead has some good ones, but me, after these wear out I'm going to get a pair of Chippewas either the lace ups or pullon type both are worth the extra bucks. Justin even makes a good pair.

STP

Tattoojoe
03-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the ideas on brands. Yes, Im on the fence, on one hand Ive hunted all my life but dont own snake boots, granted I do mostly upland bird and Deer and turkey , so Im looking at winter time and early spring, both of which I am uslly in a blind or in fields. On the other, snake protection doesnt seem to be an area I want to skimp on lol.