PDA

View Full Version : Turkey season opener w/Boar

AbileneHogMan1
04-04-2011, 07:46 AM
It's been a while since I've had anything to post. I did a pretty good job on the pigs in '09-'10. 1 boar on the cameras in November and 1 pic in December. The past month I had boars start showing up. Just boars. 5 different big boars. As many of you know, it's baseball season. With my son in the majors now, we have practice every day that we don't have a game. This weekend was the only break for about 2 months. It was also the Turkey Spring opener. This is the first turkeys we have had in years. I pig hunted Thursday night after the game from 9p-12p. Nothing. Friday I went out at 10p-3:30a. Nothing. Saturday I hunted from 10p-12a. Nothing. By now I'm a little tired from no pigs and being up past my bedtime. On my way in I decide to check another feeder. The wind is howling and we have a midnight dust storm going on. I round the corner with the wind and dirt in my face to see this boar under the feeder at 200 yards. After a long stalk of walking down the middle of the road trying not to stumble in the pitch black, I get to within 50 yards of him. The boar's oblivious to me standing in the middle of the road with my gun aimed at him. Again, pitch black and 50 mph wind...no kidding gusts to 50mph. I turn on the scope retical and wait forever (5 minutes) for him to turn broadside and then hit him with the EWT LR250 Kill Light! The Howa 22.250 with Winchester 55gr. Ballistic tips did the rest. He's down and not moving. DRT. It's 12:25am, it takes til 2am to get him back to camp. I waken 7 hours later to Turkeys gobbling, throw on my camo and do a 1 hour tango with 2 toms til I said the right thing with the alumi-slate and took this bird at 10 yards with the old Remington 870 shooting Federal 4/6 Duplex shells. Great weekend! The only thing missing was my son...it was his mothers weekend. Needless to say, he's bumed.

Until I figure out how to have the pix show up here, I have them on a new album.

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/008.JPG

cabledad
04-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Unfortunately the more hogs the less turkeys.Lotsa luck on your hunt and lotsa luck on getting that son out to hunt with you.Hunting has allways one of my big ties with my son.I kiddingly say the only problem I had with him is keeping him out of my deer stand.Chuck

ARhoghunter
04-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Nice boar!