PDA

View Full Version : Fairly Simple Smoked Pulled Pork

khilborn
01-26-2009, 11:22 AM
This is a fairly simple recipe, and takes after my slow smoked hog in ingredients, but is not so time and energy consuming.

Ingredients:

- a few different pieces of the hog - de-boned(shoulder, rump, chest, etc)

- Stubb's Liquid Pork Rub

- barbecue sauce

- orance juice

- brown sugar

I generally go to Kroger for the inexpensive throwawaytype foil pans. Makes cleanup a lot easier, and doesn't darken your pans with all of the smoke.

In a large bowl, combine

liquid pork rub

barbecue sauce

orange juice

brown sugar

Using a basting tool or brush, cover the meat in the liquid mixture so that all surfaces are covered.

Either in a smoker, orin the oven, cook the meat at 220 to 235degrees for 1 hour per pound of meat. Continue to baste as needed and turn the meat every couple of hours. When you can easily tear off the meat with your fingers, or with a fork, and the internal temperature of the meat is 180 to 190 degrees, you will know the meat is done.

Remove the meat and wrap in aluminum foil. Sealing the foil so that the meat rests and continues to cook while it starts to cool.

When the meat is cool enough, tear apart with your hands - do not crush the meat, simply pull it apart and place into a bowl - wear gloves if the meat is too warm.

Once all of the meat is torn or pulled set aside and cover.

In a separate bowl, combine bbq sauce and brown sugar to create a slightly sweet mixture. If you want a little kick, add Tony Sachere's or Cayenne to the mix.

Mix thoroughly and combine with the meat.

You don't want to drench the meat in the sauce. Just combine and mix until the meat is covered but not soaking wet.

Put on a hamburger bun and chow down. Feel free to add pickles, onions, cabbage, whatever. http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/lol.gif

charlie1953
01-26-2009, 02:04 PM
What kind of wood do you use. We have all plenty of mesquite here but also have oak or pecan.

khilborn
01-27-2009, 03:29 AM
For hogs, I always try to use either apple, pecan, orcherry wood(mixed with Mesquite or Hickory)

If neithernone of those three areavailable, I'll go to the store andbuy mesquite or hickory by themselves or mixed together since they are most commonly available whereI live

A couple of things to note:

Apple, Alder, Pecan, maple, and cherry are sweet woods and add a certain sweetness to the meat. Once again, mixed with other woods can make those flavors more mild.

(Cherry, Alder, and Maple also darken the color of the meat under the smoke ring)

Hickory, if used too much can really make your meat bitter, so it's best to mix that with another wood, or close up the meat after you've got a good smoke flavor so as not to turn it bitter.

I don't have much information on Oak. It's just not that easy for me to find. I've heard it's the best all-around wood to use for any type of meat.

But specifically for hogs, Itend to use pecan, apple, or cherry(mixed with mesquite) for that sweet smoky flavor. If you are using pecan, don't use too much of it. It's very pungent and should be used to accent the mesquite(pecan is actually a hickory)

For your best bet, I'd mix that pecan with mesquite and I think you'll like the outcome.