PDA

View Full Version : What is a trophy Hog

Jason
02-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Ok first off i am not a trophy hunter i hunt strictly for eating so her is my question.

Ok may be a stupid question here but, how come every were i look people are classifying hogs 100lbs and under as table hogs and hogs 100lbs and over as trophy hogs.

To me it seems like if i was to get a hog that wieghed say around 175 and up that would be a trophy hog I would also classify it as a lot of meat for the table.

I dont know but if im paying to hunt a hog for the table i think i would want that one that is 150 lbs and up for the table not the little 50lbs that would only make a meal for two. i cant see were it is cost effective paying to hunt hogs and not getting enough to fill my families belly for more than a couple days.

howie1968
02-21-2009, 02:06 AM
Jason, eveyone has a different view of what a trophy means to them! one of my trophies was a 8o lb boar i shot after my brain surgery not knowing if i was going to hunt again to me that pig was a trophy on the other hand what i call a trophy boar is a boar that is 5-7 years old doesnt have to be a big hog but i mainly hunt the hogs in the 5-7 yr old range and let most others walk a hog in this range generally has a big body and a large head sometimes no cutters as the years of fighting have taken there toll, these hogs you will see alone seldom around any other hog and even rarer is to see one during daylight, theyve leanred to associate game cameras as trouble and avoid them as well it is tough to even get them to stop by a feeder as they associate feeders with death after seeing so many gunshots and arrows whiz by them and some probaly have a a piece of lead in them, to me they are a tough challenge to hunt an educated hog can be very difficult

so in my humble opinion trophys are in the eyes of the beholder i have killed lots and lots of big trophy boar and barr but of those i have a handfull that i call true tropies of a lifetime!

Jason
02-21-2009, 04:34 AM
I see your point there and i greatly respect that you like the older hatder to hunt hogs. i was just having hard time understanding why most of these ranches i been looking at classify hogs as trophy. when theyare only at 100lbsyou know what i mean.

a trophy hog for me is any hog i can put on the table.

dont mean to knock or hurt any ranchers feelings on this just trying to figure it all out before i decide to pay for a hunt on a ranch like i want to.

NelsonV
02-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Personally Iconsider any animal Iharvest a trophy. I exclusively hunt with a bow for anything that doesn't fly. So to me if Ican fool allof the animal senses and get them close enough for a bow kill then Ihave accomplished something. I have a 40 acre parcel of land that is absolutley covered in hogs. They range from shoats to huge boars and I am pleased to harvest any I get the chance to.

dougepooo
03-02-2009, 09:30 AM
for me 200 pounds is the magic number. A hog wieghhing 200 or more is kinda hard to come by and that is what makes it a trophy to me. !50 pounders arnt all that uncommon. At least that has been my experience....

bryon
03-03-2009, 02:39 PM
ok a table hog is one that you can eat..size;s rage,50 to 200lbs.... trophy hog is.... ABAULT SIZE ALWAYS.... Big head body and teeth wide shoulders a wall hanger. you can be proud of any hog you get but hunting along time you always smile when getting the big ones.

CODY
03-03-2009, 03:29 PM
After being a taxidermist for almost 9 years now I've seen alot of animals brought in to be mounted. Normally when customers bring in hogs for shoulder mounts they're 225lbs or bigger. The thing I like about hunting hogs though is whether its little or big nobody is going to say "I wonder what it would've looked like next year" like you hear when deer hunting all of the time.

nate
03-04-2009, 03:20 AM
I look for certain traits. I like cutters showing, a permannet mane, and broad shoulders.

nate
03-04-2009, 03:23 AM
Jason (http://www.texashoghunter.com/profile.php?user=Jason) wrote...

I see your point there and i greatly respect that you like the older hatder to hunt hogs. i was just having hard time understanding why most of these ranches i been looking at classify hogs as trophy. when theyare only at 100lbsyou know what i mean.

a trophy hog for me is any hog i can put on the table.

dont mean to knock or hurt any ranchers feelings on this just trying to figure it all out before i decide to pay for a hunt on a ranch like i want to.

It's about the dollar, Jason. Ranches just charge more for a hog over 100 pounds.

Trophy is ultimately in the eye of the hunter.

Jason
03-04-2009, 08:00 AM
i know what you mean. specially bout the dollar.

I know my first actuall trophy dear was a 65 lbs doe that i was able to shoot with my bow. it was my very first bow kill of any kind and can still remember that sweet wet thwacking sound of the arrow hitting home.