PDA

View Full Version : 5 Minute boar

00Spy
09-18-2011, 02:27 AM
Nothing went as planned for this boar. Ishowed up nearly 5 hours early for a sounder and got this guy instead. I sat in a tripod stand that overlooks a blocked view of my dry creek, but from where I can see clearly my spring fed water hole in one direction and a feeder in another direction. The hog wasn't at either, but under my stand down in the creek when first spotted. Iarrived just after midnight and after setting up an IR light (for NV)to shine on the water hole, Iclimbed into the stand and was still getting settled in my seat when Iheard him...but only saw a doe, initially. After seeing him, he was located at a very steep downward angle from the stand and by the time Igot my rifle over the rail, he was moving and rooting away from me. His head was dipped down and hidden by his shoulders and that took away any head or behind the head shots and with each step, he was moving away from me and behind the concealment of tree limbs and leaves. As such, there was no side shot at the heart either. So Iattempted to work the angle of the shot with shot placement such that the trajectory would ideally hit the spine and if not the spine continue down into the heart. The shot missed the spine and was a bit further back than hoped and he ran, but only got 30 yards away. The trajectory was good and the 75 gr. Hornaday TAP .223 round did its job. Shot distance was approximately 20 yards with20-25 feetof that distance being downward.

ihad arrived at my stand at 12:03 and was calling the wife at 12:08 am to let her know Ihad a hog. I really wanted to shoot a female from the sounder (which never came, BTW), but all worked out well enough. Istill have a problem with the sounder and I hope to work on that in the near future.

257 lbs. based on heart girth measurement. Tusk size indicates that this boar is not fully adult despite his size and reproductive development.

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/a2011 Sept 17 Boar Horn Hill Heart Girth Showing 257 lbs 100_1183.JPG