PDA

View Full Version : .45-70 Cranial Damage and then some

00Spy
10-19-2011, 02:30 AM
This little boar had been visiting for more than a week and coming in daylight, but we had not been able to get him until Monday when two of us covered different stands on the property. He happened to pop out in front of my at 35 yards and was coming toward me, the trail to the feeder passes right by my stand and the feeder had just gone off. As he put his head down, nose to the ground as he walked, Ishot him at 30 yards with a 325 gr. Leverevolution round from my Marlin 1895. This was cool as this was my first daylight hog.

The shot entered above the right eye, crossed the brain case and exited out the left side of the neck and hit the left wrist. The hog was a youg male and weighed 130 lbs. (heart-girth estimate). I checked on the carcass on Tuesday and was surprised at what I found. There was no sign of mammalian carnivore damage such as teeth marks. All the flesh removal appeared to have been by vulture. The impact of the shot had apparently done a very good job of destroying the cranial vault and even broke the right jaw in multiple places. This is my third hog to take with the ammo and Ihave been impressed with the caliber and the ammo on each occasion, but this was the first head shot I had made with it. Wow.

As a side note, one of my cameras caught us dragging the pig away. A little over an hour later, it appears the scent and blood trail had gotten the attention of one of the local bobcats

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/100_1205 arrow.jpg

ARhoghunter
10-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Nice shot. That bullet did some damage!

SirVival
10-20-2011, 10:17 PM
VERY cool pics!!!! Great shot too! Love the bobcat following the trail. 325 gr.!!!! He never had a chance! Congrats!