PDA

View Full Version : Hog hunt #1 at the Dos Plumas....SUCCESS!!

Tattoojoe
11-08-2011, 03:52 AM
Well as some of you know I have been planning a hog hunt with Dos Plumas for the better part of the last year. This was made more difficult by the fact I was living in Taiwan. But planning went through anyway and we locked in our dates for Nov. 4-5. That was the easy part...

The trip consisted of myself, my best friend and 2 of his brothers. We set out from Nebraska around 7am Thur morning and headed south for Texas. But me being the trusting type I am, thought "These guys can manage this no problem, so I settled into the backseat of the truck and away we went. I think we drove more East/West than South though. So after so much argueing between the brothers, and me sitting there enjoying the show pitching in from time to time just to keep it flowing... we arrived at the Dos Plumas ranch at around 11pm. Hungry, tired, one new dent in the fender and ready for what lie ahead. There we met Bryce(i hope i spelled it right) who would be our go to guy for ther trip. After the formalities of rules, penalties and the buissness side of the deal, off to bed we went for a 5am wake up and the morning hunt.

In the morning we awoke, got our gear totehr and hopped in the truck to be dropped off in our spots to the morning hunt. I was very anxious for this bc i had no clue what the setup would be, tower blinds, ground blinds, tree stands, ect. I ended up ina ground blind near a road for the 1st hunt and coulndt help but get antsy hear pigs all around me, i have to admit i feared foe me life (this part is called dramatic effect) . The first morning, I did not see sany hogs but had a great time none the less just trying somehting new and being outdoors for the 1st time in over a year. The rest of my group saw hogs but did not get shots or wanted to wait on bigger hogs. Around 930, Bryce came and picked us up and I was able to mee the imfamous Allen for the fist time, in person and not a computr screen. We also met the other hunters who were there. This ended up beign a father and son. The son was 9 and his father wass just getting him into hunting. It was very nice to see I have to admity to see this .

After the morning hunt we wer trated to breakfast of eggs, bacon and cinnimon rolls. After breakfast we sat down and talked to Allen about a little of everything. All of the stories of him just beng very down to earth were very true. He shared some stories and we shared some stories, I asked him about his entrance into the hunting buisness and he told us all about that. After some down time we relaxed and talked about our moring hunt. Who saw what and how big it was. Soon enuf the evening hunt came along and off we went to the wilds. I ended up in a differant blind and withing an hour had a black and white spotted sow coing out of the brush. I watched her for around 20 minutes playing in the brush, and it was only after she emerged that I realized she was limping pretty severly on her right front leg. I initially was not goign to take her bc there are always bigger ones out there. But she was around 110 ( i think) and was injured and i really dotn like an animal to suffer so i took aim and DRT. I waited a few min and then went and collected her, drug her intothe woods and re-took my position. She would be the only hog I saw on my trip (except for a few waaaaaay after dark) but was mine none the less.

While waiting for darkness to fall and my ride, i heard several more shots in the distance and once picked up was made aware everyone had gotten a hog that night except one of our group. We took our truck load of hunters and hogs back to camp and proceeded to dress them. I have dressed deer( gutted) and handled plety of birds but this was my first hog ever so it was a daunting task to say the least. Skinning was failry easy but nerver wracking asd I had nevr done it before and she had a good layer of fat that prevented the skin from just beign pulled off easily. I found her limp ws caused by what I can only assume was an arrow wound. It was about an inch deep and looked like a neat cut/slit in her shoulder. It appeaered to be healing but obviously not there yet. The other thing i noticed was ( and this was verified by a few ppl) SHE had a penis...and no testicles. So of course everyine latched on to that and kept bothering me about my IT pig. Whivch was fine with me bc it was still biggest of the group *middle finger all around* So I finished up with the skinning and guting and did a fairly good job i think. We helped each other with the hogs and had them all in the coolers in no time at all. After some stries and banter, we heaed to bed to start it all over again the next mornong.

Early the next morning we were up and at it again and I ened up on "The mountain", I have t say I hated it. It had nothing to do with the ranch or anything, but the wonds were howling and up there, they did not stop so it wss a constant roar which gave me a migrain about 5 mintues into the 3+ hours i was going to send there. Eventually time rolled away and it was time to go in. I ate breakfast( sausaege, eggs, pancakes) and laid down for a bit. The evening hunt was much more enjoyable. I sat and watched some does at a feeder fopr over an hour, saw around 10 quail scurrying back and forth across the road and then after dark saw what I can only assume was a huge sow and 10-15 piglets jetting across the road. As we picked up hunters, we set off into the darness to look for pigs that werer shot at. We found blood, a little bone, a dead ram and of course LOTS of cactus...bit no pigs. Dinner was roast bbq pork, beans, green beans, and french bread and as usual it was amazing.

We packed up our bags and off we went to Alibine to find accomodating for the night. This was gonan be a pitstop and then we were going to find further entertainent.... but once we found a place, it was a group desicion to jsut relax for the night and head out early the next morning. The trip home was pretty quiet as everyone was tired and just ready to be home. We saw some huge deer on our way through Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and into Nebraska, a few coyotes and even some cows.

In summery, I had an amazing time at the Dos Plumas. Allen was an amazing host, Bryce took care of us and is running an amazing new ranch, and of course I can't forget Lori and her amazing cooking. This was an amazing experience for me and my friends. And should the opportunity arrise again, I weould not hesitsate for a moment to go back and do it again.

Joe Record

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/i-xmRHMgd-M.jpg

uc1
11-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Glad to read you had a great time and congrats on getting your first hog. You been BIT and that will not been your last hog. Until next time.

Sorry hit send twice and do not know how to delete one of them http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/naughty.gifhttp://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/wall.gif

uc1
11-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Glad to read you had a great time and congrats on getting your first hog. You been BIT and that will not been your last hog. Until next time.

SirVival
11-22-2011, 04:53 PM
NICE!!! Congrats!!!

ARhoghunter
11-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Glad you had some fun & got a good hog!

Tattoojoe
12-18-2011, 09:06 AM
So I finally got around to editing out the pics and video of my hunt. Here is a video of my shot. Sorry it gets a little shaky towards the end. I had the camera balanced in the gaps of my blind so had to readjust that is also why the camera shifts at the end. I was shooting a 7mm... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj051ddPPyM&context=C39fa315ADOEgsToPDskIBg0pCd3pXyl2Lt4SMaVmk