PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for PVS 14

ARhoghunter
12-05-2011, 10:09 AM
My wife & I have decided to buy a monocular, PVS 14. It is our Christmas present to ourselves! Does anyone recommend any particular dealer or brand? I have looked on the internet & seen several different ones from about $2600-$3700. Spending this big a chunk of money, I want to make sure I buy a reliable brand from a reliable dealer. Any help will be appreciated.

00Spy
12-06-2011, 12:08 PM
You know, I would not be quick to buy ATN products again. I have two of their scopes and have had a chance to work with a 3rd. Only the Gen 1 (others being Gen II+ and Gen III) has been what was advertised and durable. I tried to get an accessory from ATN for the Gen II+ scope that I ordered online that ended up requiring 3 phone calls and a month of delays to receive. I would not rank their customer service as being very good. I have read where several folks have claimed ATN scopes to be garbage. I would not go that far, but would say that I was not pleased overall with my ATN experience.

Sorry this does not tell you what and who to buy from, but maybe it will help you keep from buying the wrong brand.

Through hearsay, I know a couple of folks who have PVS14s from Insight Technologies and have been pleased. I have not actually seen, handled, or used these scopes (the guys are in another state).

Be warned that any suggestions you get may come from folks with limited experience. There are a bunch of peopole that have owned a single night vision scope and that really is the limit of their experience with night vision. That isn't to say that their opinions are not valid, but with limited background to know what is or is not good, they may be hugely happy with the scopes that they have and the scopes may not really be all that good compared to what is available. While I have a bunch of experience with night vision scopes (currently owning 4), I don't own any PVS14s and so can't comment directly on them.

And this is a sort of problem with night vision and why I have so many scopes...trying to buy something better based on reviews and such and not making lot of headway. There really aren't any places (that I have ever found) where you can go in and browse night vision and compare and contrast brands and models. Most of us have purchased scopes based on what we have seen online somewhere, maybe based on some reviews, but could not honestly say that we know the actual differences between models beyond advertised descriptions. Some of us have made purchases based on what a buddy has, maybe even after having used it, but still don't know much about the other options that are available.

It is a big chunk of change. I realize this is a Christmas gift, but don't get rushed into buying before Christmas until you have found something you are sure about.

Gigem
12-07-2011, 02:05 AM
Give me a call and I'll be glad to answer any questions you have....or you can visit our new online store at www.cottonwoodarmory.com . We're constantly adding new items and we're in the process of developing a new

custom" front end for the store. Some of the prices that are advertised are dictated by the manufacturer...I can probably make a better deal than that, for a THH member.

Depending on your intended use, a PVS-14 may, or may not, be your best choice. Used as a viewer, it's fine. It can be used as a handheld or used with the headgear that comes with it with good results. If you're going to try to use it to shoot with (with an Eotech or daytime scope), then it may not be your best option.

Give me a call and we can discuss options. 936-581-2256

SirVival
12-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Ditto what Clark said. While I personally have never purchased an ATN unit, I have heard NUMEROUS complaints from buddies who have used them. The complaints always fall into two categories: 1) Won't hold a zero, and 2) Poor customer service.

On the flip side, I have both experienced and heard great things about Night Optics Sights. More expensive than ATN, for sure. BUT! Why pay a less for something that doesn't work vs. paying more for something that does.

Point is I guess, that for NV stuff, you're going to pay. So once you accept that point, you might as well pay for something that WORKS..........

I'm a little biased though,...my 740 is in the mail and wil be here on Wed. (Gotta love Christmas....)

Good Luck!

cabledad
12-12-2011, 04:47 PM
What rifle are you going to use with the 740 30 30 or the 338.Chuck

SirVival
12-13-2011, 03:00 AM
The .338. I picked up an Axiom thubhole stock for it last week. Hopefully, this setup will complete this particular rig.

...although I'm beginning to learn that one is never REALLY done tinkering with a rifle....

Will post picks once the build is done.....

cabledad
12-13-2011, 04:44 AM
Does that 338 kick,I bought a 300 win barrel for my contender and it is too rough,I love the 45 70 barrel. I enjoy shooting it.Chuck

ARhoghunter
12-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Thanks for all the help & ideas. We are gonna go to Clark's & check out a couple ideas & pick one! Merry Christmas all!

ARhoghunter
12-23-2011, 02:51 AM
Well, we bit the bullet & did it. We are now the proud owners of a PVS-14. Thanks to Clark at Tactical Hog Hunters who let us come out & compare the PVS14 to the LS X-50 thermal. We liked both, but in the end thought the PVS-14 would best meet our current needs. Wow, what a great hog hunting set up they have. We got to look at some of his other equipment & it is no wonder he has the best hog hunting outfit in Texas & probably the nation! Thanks Clark & to everyone else who offered their opinions. Now, if the hogs would just come back! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL & MAY THE GOOD LORD BLESS YOUR NEW YEAR.