PDA

View Full Version : Playing Angry Birds in Real Life...

00Spy
02-22-2012, 02:26 AM
Got an email from my hunting buddy that the pigs were back at my place and so we camped out in different stands. He was watching a feeder and I was watching one of the trails that leads to the feeder. After two hours, we were hearing pig noises, but unbeknownst to one another, hearing them from different directions.

My field of view was pretty narrow, maybe only 20 yards at the widest point and 40 yards deep. I was hearing noises off to my right and inside the woods. So as I was waiting for something to pop out from the right side and close to the stand, I heard noise further out in front of me and there were five hogs out in the open and all but one were either moving around or partially obscured. I shot the one stationary hog and the rest disappeared nearly instantly given they only had to move a few feet to be gone from my field of view.

However, not all the hogs disappeared from the area. I was still hearing noises to my right, grunts and such and still waiting for something to pop out from my right. After a half hour, I again heard noise out in front of me and spied another hog coming n from the left side, hackles raised, kind of doing a diagonal hopping toward the downed pig sort of like cats do when attacking their toys. Weird. I lined up my shot and CLINK! In my surprise, Ihad not taken off the safety. Recocked the hammer and as the new hog was inspecting the downed hog, dropped him in place as well

At about 25-30 yards, the Hornady Leverevolution .45-70 325 gr. ammo performed well out of my Marlin 1895 being sighted through a Pulsar N550 digisight. Both hogs were hit just below the right ear with the rounds transiting diagonally through the brain case and exiting out of the next on the opposite side. The small hog turned out to be a young boar weighting 140 lbs and the large hog was also a young boar weighing 205 lbs.

After this second shot, hog noises in the woods remained for a short while, but no other hogs presented themselves.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt352/HornHillRange/100_1269.jpg

ARhoghunter
02-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Nice shoooting! Got alot of good meat off those two! Went out a little later than I wanted this weekend. My buddy & I surprised 5 hogs at his feeder. I was circling around to go to another stand in the back & I saw them about the same time he fired. I couldn't get a shot off before they were in the woods. We looked for 30 minutes before crawling up in his stand & waiting. The hogs stayed close in the woods grinding their teeth & making real aggressive screaming sounds. He was pretty sure he got one & maybe it was wounded, but I have never heard that type of sound except when 2 boars were fighting. We saw them 1 time with my night vision but they never came back for a shot.

SirVival
02-24-2012, 10:48 AM
NICE!!!!!! Good shootin'!!!!!

00Spy
02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
ARhoghunter, no disrespect to your buddy who probably has a lot more experience than me, but I have come to learn very quickly that I don't like tracking hogs. I really don't like doing it in the dark, but having a buddy like you along makes the prospect seem less daunting. So I generally try to make a brain shot if the hog is within range and not moving around a lot. Within range has seemingly been defined from experience as being abou 50 yards or less for me. That first hog I shot out of the group of 5 was far from being the biggest and may have been the smallest, but it was the one standing still. Actually, I was hoping it was a sow, but it wasn't.

Back in December I shot a mulefooted boar at 140 yards, torso shot that ended up further back than I intended, also with my .45-70. He bolted into the thickest nearby brush, of course. I was with the property owner and we started our search at the feeder. No blood was found and no tracks, though there were tracks, just no recent hog tracks which seemed odd. Long story short...the hog ran about 100 yards and was crossing a trail when he expired which saved me from crawling into the thicket. Except for some blood at the mouth and nose, there were no other signs of bleeding. It took a while to find the entry hole and there was no blood around it, although lots had drained into its belly and his belly sloshed like a sow full of milk. The lack of hog tracks was because he was mule-footed where the toes grow together and so when we looked for tracks, anything not hog-like was ignored.

I think that had I been in your shoes and hearing hogs still around and making the noises you described, I would have waited in the stand as well...and gone there long before you did, LOL. In looking up information on human/hog interaction where hogs have hurt people here in the US, most of the folks sufferng any sort of real injury from a hog generally are trying to handle a live hog (such as during hog dogging and binding the feet), trying to kill a live hog with something like a knife, come up on a hog they wounded, or manage to corner a hog. Your situation is not one I would have enjoyed, but it sounds like y'all made the best of it as you could.

ARhoghunter
03-01-2012, 04:55 AM
Good point & well taken. They usually don't get real far on me but I am still thinking that I am going to start taking head shots. Most of our shots are 50 yds or less. With the drought, just haven't taken a shot at a hog since early last summer! Getting frustrated! Can't wait for spring break!