PDA

View Full Version : Love/Hate Relationship with Springy Weather...

SirVival
04-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Man guys, the last 7 times I have been out I haven't heard a grunt, squeel, fight, or much less seen anything.

Around this area, every springtime this usually happens. The rains come and everything starts to grow in the woods and ALLthe hogs disappear from the feeders. I don't even have coons, OR deer coming in!

Love being in the woods now though as the greenery, flowers, andwarmer weatherare always a plus, just wish I had some activity!

Oh,...wait, I did have some new activity....the mosquitos are back!....uggg....time to start paking in the Thermacell...

Hope some of you other guys are seeing some action......

Be good.....

millertimeatthelake
04-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Same problem here in Palo Pinto County.....Not much activity going on here.....Good luck!!

I have also set some old guard rail post close to the feeder and soaked them in diesel....they should be coming in and rubbing on the poles to get rid of the tick,fleas and bugs...this may help you too...Just a thought!!

ARhoghunter
04-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Gosh the mosquitos are HUGE! We finally have some hogs coming around again. Have got 3 in the last couple weeks. Two were nice size ridgebacks. We have never had any of those around. Will try to download some pics when I have time. With spring piglets, I bet yal will start seeing some hogs at the feeders soon. Good luck.

ARhoghunter
04-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Here are the 2 Ridgebacks my wife got the last couple weeks. She finally got enough confidence for head shots, both DRT. #1 was a gilt; #2 a young boar. She is slaying them & I haven't seen a dang thing except on camera!

http://texashoghunter.com/oldatt/IMAG0059.jpg

Jimmie
05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Hand it to the little lady. At least someone is putting the piggies down....

ARhoghunter
05-11-2012, 05:05 AM
Can't give her too much credit....she already has a big head! She is lucky. They always seem to come wherever she is or she walks up on them! We hope to try & even the score tonight if the weather holds.We need all the rain we can get now tho. So if not tonight, tomorrow night.

JimB
05-14-2012, 08:12 AM
I hunted in west Tx around Aspermont last week. No rain. Dry as a bone but no mesquitos either. All I shot was one big old turkey gobbler. We have a hunt scheduled at the end of this month (May 2012) around Centerville Tx. Hope we do better. I'll be sure to bring along the Thermacell and unscented bug stuff.

JimB
05-14-2012, 08:13 AM
I hunted in west Tx around Aspermont last week. No rain. Dry as a bone but no mesquitos either. All I shot was one big old turkey gobbler. We have a hunt scheduled at the end of this month (May 2012) around Centerville Tx. Hope we do better. I'll be sure to bring along the Thermacell and unscented bug stuff.

JimB
05-14-2012, 08:25 AM
I think I'm beginning to stutter....... or I screwed up and posted twice!!! Sorry about that.

Jordan1991
05-21-2012, 04:18 PM
We have had lots of rain here in east Texas. Pigs are still coming in to feeders regularly.

ARhoghunter
05-30-2012, 04:46 AM
So far so good for us. My wife, father in law, & I went out last Friday & had 3 hogs by 9:15pm. Caught a sow(140lb) & a boar(200lb) on stalks at 2 different feeders & father in law caught a 220lb boar coming to our protein feeder. All were young & both boar had some Russian mixed in. This is the first year we have seen any Russian mixes on our place. Wish we had 1 more shooter Friday. While we were processing the hogs back at the shed, the biggest boar we have seen showed up at a stand we hadn't made a kill that night! Smart guy! Knew we had eliminated some of his competition! Pics aren't real good since it was so dark. But I will try & get some up this weekend.