PDA

View Full Version : catahoula crosses

hillbillyhoghntr
02-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Anybody tried to cross hound with catahoula? I live in the mtns. of east TN. so I need a little mouth in my dogs. full hound have too much mouth too much nose and too much range. I have a redtick female in heat right now. and have a male catah. I think this would be a good cross????? dont know much about catahoulas but what ive seen from the two i got they aint worth a dime in these mtns. not saying that they are not good dogs, just not in the hills. maybe I just got some culls, they dont have ANY nose and under my feet. just dont have much hunt to them. any advice?

nate
02-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Cats are awesome. You should get what you are looking for in the cross.

tnhillbilly
02-24-2009, 09:12 AM
I asked the same question on another site and man, them fellers didnt care much for them. i guess it all comes down to personal preference and hunting style. some people swear by them and others wouldnt have one. i went ahead and made the cross today. just have to wait and see. lol.

nate
02-24-2009, 12:32 PM
I asked the same question on another site and man, them fellers didnt care much for them. i guess it all comes down to personal preference and hunting style. some people swear by them and others wouldnt have one. i went ahead and made the cross today. just have to wait and see. lol.

I don't know what site you went to but if you go to www.texasboars.com (http://www.texasboars.com) and talk to one Mr. Mason, I think he'll put your fears to rest. JMOhttp://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/mrgreen.gif

tnhillbilly
02-24-2009, 01:55 PM
O.K. thanks.

tnhillbilly
03-07-2009, 11:03 AM
well, its official. I bred my red tick female to my catahoula male.

dozzer47
03-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Either the catahoulsa or a good mountian cur makes for real good dogs.I use to coon hunt with a guy that mountian cur and plot cross some of the best dogs ever been in the woods with.And will hunt what ever you want them too.

tnhillbilly
03-08-2009, 01:20 PM
yeah, just sold my mtn. cur. but can still breed to him. he bred my red bone (accidentaly) kept two pups. ended up being my best hog dogs. got two maltese plott females. was going to raise some pups but still undecided, the way everything is goin with economy. dont want to get overloaded.