PDA

View Full Version : What broadhead do you use for hogs?

WyoHunter
02-26-2009, 10:59 AM
I use Slick Tricks but what do you use? Also how do you feel about expandables on hogs? Let's hear of your experiences with broadhead performance. http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/wink.gif

txbhunter1
02-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Ihave used Thunderheads and blown right through them but also have had them hang up, hitting on offside shoulder. Iuse Wasp SST's also and have good luck with them too. My wife in her crossbow @ 150lbs and 32yds, smoked a big boar right in the boiler room and did not get a passthrough with Nap Spitfire Pros. So to answer your question. Iguess it would be a personal preference. Iprefer wasp's. I can still get themin 6 packs for under 30 bucks. As an additive, for my wife, she shot a Corsican in the morning with the very same expandable and blades she used to shoot the hog. The blades were just as sharp after the ram as they were right out of the pkg.

bratmaker
02-26-2009, 02:11 PM
I like the cut on impact Magnus SS 100 grain or Montec G5. They seem to always pass thru on hogs 150 lbs and under with ease. I tried an expandable a few years back and had a perfect hit on a large hog. It stopped it cold, but I shot it right behind the front leg. The shield did it's job and the arrow didn't even get into the cavity. Lesson learned!

I am still looking for an explosive tipped broadhead, so I don't loose them tracking!http://texashoghunter.com/images/images/forum/emoticons/exclaim.gif

aggiebowhunter
02-27-2009, 01:08 AM
Slick Tricks!!. You wont find a better head. The new or semi new German blades are awesome. Ive never bent a blade or ferrule. I run them thru the dishwasher put another edge on them and keep shooting them. Best head Ive ever used.

I do used expandables but only for deer. I have had several hunters use the two blade rage with great success.

txbhunter1
02-27-2009, 02:56 AM
Aggie,

Where did you find the sharpener for the BH's. Ihave been looking for one for a long time now and actually saw one a few yrs back but have not been able to find it since. It's the one that has the right angle for doing an edge on 2 blades at one time on a 2 bladed BH. Is this the same kind you use? Please let me know. Or if anyone knows where to find this sharpener let me know.

aggiebowhunter
02-27-2009, 03:40 AM
I take my blades apart and hold them with pliers and use the Laser Accusharp sharpenders from Academy. Little pull thru sharpeners theyll get them shaving again.

Sparky55
02-27-2009, 04:21 AM
Don't like expandables at all for hogs or large deer. They may fly better at longer distances but don't seem to hold together when hitting bone. I agree with bratmaker about the Montec broadhead. Mike shot the big hog (229#) we got this year with a Montec. Went thru the shield on the near side and stuck in the shield on the far side. Seen too many hit the shield and stick right there!

I'd like to find some of those Rambo exploding tips also!

txbhunter1
02-27-2009, 04:44 AM
Aggiebowhunter,

Then you just use a standard carbide sharpened then? No diamond?

aggiebowhunter
02-27-2009, 04:59 AM
Regular carbide sharpener.

Montecs are great heads, but I just cant get a blood trail out of them no matter how well I sharpen them.

txbhunter1
02-27-2009, 07:07 AM
Thanks, Ihave 2 of them in my hunt box already. Iwas trying to find the one that I did not have to take the heads apart though. Faster Iguess and partly a bit lazy also. LOL

squirt
02-28-2009, 02:53 AM
I shoot stingers or the G5's

CODY
03-01-2009, 10:27 AM
I've tried several different broadheads. But no matter what I try, I always go back to Thunderheads. I have more bow kills with this broadhead than all of the others combined.

txbhunter1
03-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Me too. Have been a Thunderhead guy for a long time. It was only recently after switching arrows, that Icould not get them to fly like my field points out of my bow. Thus had to go to the Wasp's with my Carbon Express's. They still shoot well with my old carbon arrows though and those are what Iuse for hogs. Cheaper....LOL

nate
03-02-2009, 12:50 AM
I have used...

Slick Tricks (one of the best)

Eastman's 1st cut 2blades in 90,125,&145 gr.

Eastman's TI 2 Titanium Extreme (never lost a hog with these,most died within sight)

Eastmans Sliver Strike

Rockets Bacon Skinner(probably the worse)

Muzzy 100gr.(tied with the bacon skinner)

Steelforce Phatheads in 125,145,&195gr.

In all my experiences in hog hunting, The Slick Trick and any two blade I used paid off every time as did the Eastman Titanium.

I am currently awaiting to try the Wac 'Em broadheads.

marshall
03-02-2009, 01:44 AM
Thunderheads have never let me down either. Been using them for about 18 years now. Only slight adjustments from field points on my bow.

aggiebowhunter
03-02-2009, 02:28 AM
Thunderheads are good when you can get them to tune right. Most of you will say broadheads will fly true with a properly tuned bow. Not so much with thunderheads, youll get planing with a perfectly tuned bow.

Ive also had good luck with shuttle t-locks,

CODY
03-02-2009, 04:19 AM
I know some guys who have tried Thunderheads and said they didn't fly good for them. I've only owned two bows in my life and both bows have shot them well. I've had blood trails a few timeswith the thunderheads that were just as good or better than some of the blood trails from a rifle.

NelsonV
03-02-2009, 05:42 AM
I've shot well over a hundred hogs and all I have ever used is expandables. I have never lost one hog or a deer. As a matter of fact the longest I have ever tracked a hod was for a little over an hour and that was mainly due to the terrain. I believe shot placement is much more important than your broadhead. If you hit the 10 ring then any broadhead will do the correct job. I even use the same broadhead for elk. For me it's one size fits all Spitfire 100gr

Preacher
03-02-2009, 07:10 AM
I've only killed a fewbut all mine were taken w/ a snuffer.

Skeaterbait
03-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Stinger 100's. Take off the field points and put on the BH's, ready to go.

rudderbowsarchery
03-08-2009, 04:22 PM
175 grain fire hardened steel tradepount and a bamboo arrow shaft. Kicks em real good!

Sab
04-20-2009, 03:06 PM
I used montecs 100gr on my hog I got in Ga. Pass thru shot and the 150 lb hog only went maybe 40 yards but the thing left very little blood

SouthTexasPighunter
05-17-2009, 10:29 AM
I guess I am still with the old school but I like Magnus 1's and Zwickey Eskimos out of my fortyfive and fifty pound longbows and recurves but on my 60 pound longbow I like 175grain Ace Super Express broadheads. Big broadhead big hole lots of blood usually from both holes going in and out.

STP

chouse
05-17-2009, 11:02 AM
4 blade BuzzCut from Magnus, or Montecs. Not a fan of expandables

drysmoke
05-17-2009, 02:28 PM
I have not been hog hunting yet but I have been using STEELFORCE 100gr Phat heads for every thing they are a cut on contact broadhead nice thick blades which you can resharpen or send them back and they will sharpen up for you. I have used them on every thing from Antelope to Elk and with a pass through most every time even when you hit the off shoulder depending on the distance of course. I will post a pick of these heads in my album #1 in a couple of minutes if you would like to see them.

mrbowhunter
05-18-2009, 01:36 PM
My two cents , I've hunted hogs all over the state of Texas from the King Ranch in south texas to the red river and I only bowhunt never shot one with a gun.I 've killed over a hundred lost count abount 5yrs ago +.I will put a rage up against any of them massive blood trails and shorter tracking.I use a very lite arrow and I'm blowing through everything I've shot so far I only shoot biggens or less than 100# for meat . My cuz a.k.a.Dr.Rocket on this sight hate exspandables loves muzzy fixed blade .but after sticken one of my rage in a 200# + porker and watched it go down within 40 ft.His new love is rage . He still can't get over thehole and the mass of blood .Ask him about it!!

BestCresting09
05-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Slick Tricks for me!

Hogdude1234
06-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Rage 2 Blade has produced for me...The only one I use now...Pass through every time when I double lung a pig. Not had any problems getting to the heart through the shoulder either...

txhogkiller
06-23-2009, 12:31 PM
i use the same think as hogdude1234... and some times muzzys

Cuz
06-24-2009, 05:04 PM
The cheapest mechanical I can find! You make a good shot and you'd kill em with a pointy rock. Make a bad one and you can be shooting $80 BH's and he's gone. JMO

Hogdude1234
06-25-2009, 12:42 PM
The cheapest mechanical I can find! You make a good shot and you'd kill em with a pointy rock. Make a bad one and you can be shooting $80 BH's and he's gone. JMO

Cuz, I am wandering what the cheapest mechanical is....how much do they cost, can you use them once, twice, thrice? That may be the way to go if you can reuse them. With Rage 2-bade, I can get a couple hogs with one broadhead. What broadheads do you use for deer? I figured since I was using the best bow out there, I should use the best broadheads too!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!! Just yoking!!!

Cuz
06-28-2009, 10:57 AM
I usually go through basspro or academy and can find some clearance heads 3 to a pack for around $20. And they come with a few replacement blades. So as long as you are not shooting rocks and such you can re use them a few times as well. But at $6 each who cares if you can only use them once...

Jimmie
06-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Continue to shoot c the original 125gr Thunderheads, WT/Axis/hog...

pigstickerx3
09-04-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm getting to go again in December and I taking my new bow. I have shot the Magnus Stinger 4 blade and they fly great, and are razor sharp. Anybody think these would be ok to use on the trip. I have always Grim Reapers on deer but pigs are bit tougher creature.

chasea089
09-21-2009, 12:44 PM
i use .75 grain muzzys. they do the trick!!