Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I know whith corn and milo they normally stay out until the heads form

I cant say it would be easy for any of you to do this, but my grandpa when he was in his early 20's he had planted about 100 fruit trees on the farm. Since then many of the trees where sold and dug up we have about 40 trees left. We have mangos, papayas, Hawaiian mountain apples, 3 types of guava. along with that we have a bunch of lilikoi(pasion fruit) vine patches and nut trees kukui and macadamia. The mix of fruit trees that drops fruit at different times of the year and nut trees that dorp year-round it keeps the hogs around and happy. Of course you cant grow all the trees that I have but I bet you could get fruit & nut trees that grow in your area. I wouldn't recommend growing them from a seed. You can probly get grown trees that you can transplant. If you do this you wont have to grow a food plot year after year. all you have to do is do it once and keep up with it.

I have done some research and using fruit and nut trees is a growing trend with not only hog hunting but also deer hunting, the most important thing is to care for the young tree and protect it with a barrier of some sort to keep the wildlife from damaging it. But, once they get old enough to produce fruit and nuts, watch out because the wildlife just love them and they can be just effective in attracting wildlife as food plots and dont require as much work, some types of fruit trees require less rainfall also. We are in the process of planing some apple, pear, persimion trees at our ranch for the deer and hogs to supplement the existing food plots we already have.