Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting My Wife Started, Need info and opinions.

I would like to introduce my wife to the sport of archery and hunting. So what I would like is information on what bows your wives are using or your opinions on what I should look into. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on something she will only shoot once. If you have advice, please give! Mike

You can get some good pkg deals on bows from both Gander Mountain and Cabela's. Gander has some real good deals on Tech Hunters. They are essentially Bow Tech bows. I have one and love it, but also have a Diamond, which is made by the same co. The Tech Hunter pkgs run from 5-600 bucks complete, less arrows, release and arm guard. You can also find some PSE pkgs that run about 300 bucks that would be good for beginning archers. Start out with a lighter weight bow that she can handle, but if she likes it,make sure that it will be enough for her to handle in a hunting situation, ie poundage. Don't want to have to buy another bow for hunting. See if maybe you can find a used target bow and join a league to see how she does at first. They should not be too badly priced.

First thing is she needs the desire to do this. If she doesnt have that its not going to work.. I shot staff for a major archery company for many year, but I knew I wasnt going to be able to teach my wife the basics of archery. I took her into the pro shop that I use. They set her up with the best bow that fit her at the time. It was a Hoyt Rintec. They got her fully rigged out and shooting well. I totally stayed out of the picture. She made her first tournament that weekend and won the womens division. Personally I would have sent her in a totally different direction that what they did at the shop. We shot many tournaments until or children came along. Her bow collected dust for a few year, but then I decided to dig it out and let some kids from church start using it to get them involved in archery.

Thanks, keep em coming!

The Diamond "Edge" bow and the Parker "Sidekick" are both excellent starter bows. They both have a program to let you start out at a lower poundage for easier shooting and then up-grade for around $50 to $60 dollars for new limbs, strings and cams if needed. The "kits" are ok and they will save you a little money sometimes, but I would suggest buying the bare bow and outfitting it yourself. That way you can pick the sights and rest and quiver that YOU (or she) want. Either way it's not a bad deal. I know that there are a lot of good bows out there, these are just suggestions. The best thing to do is look around and let her shoot as many bows as possible and pick the one SHE feels most comfortable with.

I dont have a wife but am very interested, any single wweman on this site?

My story. When i met my wife she would not kill anything except a wasp or a spider. She would not go to the Deer lease. So I bought her a camera and she started taking picts at the lease. Then she wanted to shoot the rifle and I wound up cutting down the stock on a 22-250 for her. THEN she said I want a deer. She shot her first deer in the 2005 season, In 06, 07 and 08 I had to take her to Uvalde, Texas to shoot a big deer. That cost some $$$ because it is twice the price. In 07 she got an award from the Game and Wildlife of Texas for an outstanding 8 point whitetail the measured 140+. So far she has killed 10-12 deer, all bucks, not a doe in the bunch, a painted desert sheep, 2 audads and a boat load of hogs. She would rather kill a hog than a deer. By the way, she still does photography so that is a little sidelight of hers. Twice the expense but 4 times the fun. Look at our photo album,, the first 2 are good... Corbin and Patty

try pawn shops i know in one by me they have a parker for 180 and its the complete setup and keep an open mind when i say pawn shop shes going to be a beginner shes going to probably suck at first andnew peopleto archery get discourched some time when you have such a expensive piece of equitment and its not shootinglike you think it shouldits cheaper for a used bow and a re string then to gobuy a 5-600 dollar new one just for her to hate the sport just my 2 cents

To all of my seed planting etc.... I'm thinkin im going to have to nix on my wife and try on my daughter. I have about 6 more yrs to figure out a strategy for her. lol Or 7 yrs for the bun in the oven!! she is due in aug.

Congrat's on the new addition to the family man. Lots of luck............................