Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hogs and flour

I have had good results with a mix of flour and used cooking oil or bacon grease, I pour it down the sides of trees. I like the idea of baiting the hogs with bacon grease. It's like fighting fire with fire.

AbilineHogMan has it right with diesel. The hogs are attracted to the sulpher in the diesel so use high sulpher off road diesel and let it set on the corn for 5 days in a drum in the sun, then add some milo and mix it up and cook some more. They know the sulpher helps keep ticks off.

We have been consistently catching hogs in our traps at La Mota ranch recently with a mix of flour and syrup, but I think the most important factor is that our place is just full of hogs right now and when they are there, they are easier to catch in the traps no matter what we use for bait!!!

My brother just told me to buy "Anise" from the spice rack at the grocery store. Hogs go nuts for it and its mixable withy flour, etc.

I have use Anise in the past...it is the main ingredient in the Grim Reaper attractant form Texas Boars. I had marginal success using it for hunting. It worked best on traping. If you buy Anise oil your looking at $50 for a 16oz. bottle and that's on sale. It will go a long way but for the cost I'll stick with cheap vanilla extract from Wal Mart. .50 cents a bottle. Works great and doesn't add more cost to my pig hunting. I will try the flour this year. I have a friend that manages a grocery chain that I can get damaged bags for next to nothing. I hope they don't catch me poking holes in them on the shelves.