Thread: Bear Meat

Bear Meat

Anyone have a recipe for bear meat? I know they are in the same category as hog and need to be cooked fully. I have been told to boil the roast for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours first then drain it and slow cook it for about 6 hrs like a roast. I have also been informed you can marinate it in milk to help remove "gameiness" then cook it like a pot roast. I was thinking Icould pressure cook it and have the same results but not sure how strong the game flavor will be and need to see if anyone has any special secerets on how to marinate it and cook it so it taste great.

I've killed a few bears, but I always had them turned into jerky and sausage. I tried a coupe of steaks and roast but they were too greasy for me. Mostly spring bears so that might have something to do with it. I have heard to soak them in buttermilk to get rid of the gamey taste as well as some of the grease.

I've only cooked it twice. Cooked it like pork-but like he said greasey Gotsome off of a Brown Bear a buddy shot that was not fit to eat,because It had been feeding on salmonevensmelt like fish.

Bear Stew - 3 sl bacon, cut up - 4 md onions, quartered - 4 md potatoes, quartered - 1 pk fresh or frozen green beans - 3 bay leaves - 2 lb bear, cubed (or venison, elk etc ) - 4 carrots, sliced - 1 pk fresh or frozen peas - 1 (46 oz.) can tomato juice Brown bacon in heavy kettle. Add bear and brown on all sides. Add onions and saute. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer 1 hour or until flavors are mixed and vegetables and meat are tender. Remove bay leaves. Bear Meatloaf - 2 lb ground meat - 3/4 cup of water - 1/2 cup of milk - 2 eggs - salt and pepper to taste - 1/4 tsp. thyme - 1/4 tsp. oregano - 3/4 cup tomato sauce - 1 cup onion, minced - 1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard - 1 cup bread crumbs - 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped r - 1 small can of mushrooms or fresh mushrooms Bake at 350 until done (about an hour). When it looks close to being done, maybe 15 minutes, Spread either BBQ sauce or ketchup over the top Bear Roast - 4 lb Bear meat - Pepper to taste - Celery salt to taste - 2 Garlic cloves - 8 oz (piece) Salt pork Boil the bear meat in 2 qts of water and 1 tb soda to eliminate the wild taste. Season the bear meat with the celery salt and pepper and place in a stock pot, adding the garlic, salt pork, and enough water to cover; Cook `til meat is tender, then drain reserving the pan juices. Place the meat in a roasting pan and top with the onions, roast at 350 degrees F. until brown, basting with the reserved juices. Thicken the remaining juices for gravy and serve over potatoes served with the bear roast. Bear Chops - 3/4 inch bear chops - Salt and pepper - Paprika - Garlic - Onion powder - 1 cn mushroom soup - 1 cn mushrooms Trim fat from chop s. Roll in flour seasoned with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, and onion powder to taste. Brown in hot shortening and place in oven pan. Cover with a can of mushroom soup, a can of water and, if desired a can of mushrooms with liquid. Place in oven at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. If desired, top with canned onion rings during last 20 minutes of baking Barbecued Bear - 3 lb bear steak cut in 2" cubes - 1 sl salt pork, cut up - 1 c catsup - 1/3 c steak sauce - 2 tb tarragon vinegar - 1 onion, diced - 1 tb lemon juice - 1 ts salt - 1 tb chili powder Trim all fat from bear steak and cut into 2 inch cubes. Sear meat on all sides with salt pork in a heavy fry pan. Place meat in casserole. Add rest of ingredients to fry pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour sauce over meat in casserole. Cover and bake for at least 2 hours in a 325 degree F. oven, stirring occasionally until meat is tender. Bear Sausage - 20 lbs. ground bear meat - 10 lbs. ground beaf meat - 6 tsp. red pepper - 12 lbs. ground pork butt - 15 tsp. garlic salt - 3 lbs. slab bacon, ground - 7 1/2 tsp. pepper Mix all together. Fry in pan for breakfast sausage, good on pizza, and makes great meatballs as well. Roasted Loin with Potatoes and Carrots - Bear loin - 1 head cabbage - 10-12 lg. potatoes - 10-12 carrots - Lawry's seasoned salt - 1 pkg. bacon - Fresh ground black pepper Soak loin in cold water overnight as to remove as much blood as possible. Season loin with seasoned salt and black pepper. Wrap slices of bacon around loin until covered and sprinkle with black pepper. Cut cabbage into quarters. Place bacon wrapped loin in roaster pan and cover with cabbage wedges and add about 1 cup of water. Bake covered at 375 for about 4 hrs or until cabbage starts to cook down. Remove cabbage and discard. Add carrots and potatoes cover and cook for another 1-2 hours until vegetables are done. Uncover for last 30 minutes of cooking time. You may need to add a little water from time to time during cooking time. Black Bear Marinade - 1 cup dry red wine - 1/2 cup olive oil - 1 onion chopped - 6 cloves garlic crushed - 1 sliced carrot - 1/2 tbs of dried tarragon - Salt and pepper adjust to your own taste Place meat in roaster, roast or steaks, in marinade and cover and refrigerate overnight turning often prior bedtime. Remove from marinade approx., 2 hrs. prior cooking to allow meat to come to room temp. Strain marinade and reserve liquid for gravy. Pre-Heat oven to 350 Deg. turning the roast and or steaks halfway through cooking time, about 3 hours. for 4 1/2 lb. roast. GRAVY; with broth in pan bring to medium boil on stove top and add marinade liquid, to thicken I use 1/2 cup flour mixed with 1 1/2 cups of water seasoned with celery salt, shake or stir well and gradually pour into pan keeping stirring constant. Carve roast (boneless) into 1/4 inch slices and place on platter pouring gravy over meat, will serve 8.

I'll be trying them all the end of Sept after Iget back from Maine Mike.

Shot a old timer once. A friend of mine worked at the local grocery store meat department. We ground it all up into burger and mixed it with suet. I thought it was delicious. We always baked bear roasts from our younger bears exactly as beef. I did not think the younger ones were greasy at all. These are also fall bears taken in Minnesota, not spring bears.

i have killed 10 bears the last ten years...all fall bears ( no spring hunt in ontario anymore due to some animal rights bast**ds with big bucks) i do 50% into hamberger and 50% into pepperets...bear meat is very good if cooked right also the bait pile has a lot to due with taste...we NEVER bait with meat always baked goods..

I like Krispy Cremes, so thats good to know!! lol....I can get my bear to taste great!!!!!!