Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Texas Animal Health Commission

Howdy Hunters! I visited three different hog hunting outfitters over the weekend andI discovered that all of them were very concerned about the Texas Animal Health Commission. In fact, one of the outfitters was recently shut down for two weeks by the commission and lost several thousand dollars before he could re-open. Apparently, an agent told him that he would have to test every one of the hogs on his property for Brucellosis and pseudorabies before he could reopen. Have youheard any similar stories about the TAHC?Also, what are your thoughts on the commissionand the power it wields over hog hunting?

I dont see how in the world any one could ever expect you to be able to test all of your hogs for anything. Unless you are running a breading program with a high fence, there would be no way of doing that. My ranch isnt high fenced and I have hundreds of hogs running through it. The is no way I could test them unless I trapped every single hog tested them then tagged them. To high fence my ranch I would have to dump hundreds of thousands of dollars in just material alone, not to mention what it would cost in labor. Then spend every day for a year trying to trap each one of them. Well thats not going to happen. That is stupid and unreasonable.

Just my .02 but this is another government commission that is out of control trying to justify their existance. We've all seen it time and time again! Let me stop and say........In no way am I some out of control radical bent on saying that any government is to much government. I say that those in charge of some of these positions just need to be held more accountable for their actions........Just look at the recent bailouts, or the bumbling actions by the CPS in West Texas and many many more! This screams of yet another government agency over reacting and using the reason of "we know whats best for you". Sorry for the rant but to many years of dealing with some of these idiots has soured me just a little bit! Mike (stepping off of my soapbox now)

Because of the tach regs, Ihave started getting rid of my hogs. Tach is bad for business. They are a bunch of idots being led by a bigger idiot who has no clue about how game ranches are helping to keep the hog population at bay. They passed some regs last year that all but put a beatin' on hog hunting ranches like mine. tach is very bad!!!

I have not heard of tach but one thing i do know is that the so called "government" "run by the people" is turning into a monster and i dont see it stopping anytime soon......one thing i do believe is that hog hunting.......at least with dogs is not going to be around much longer due to all of the tree huggin yahoo's running around these days, but I can promise you the sooner that these regulations are set forth the sooner that the government will realize how important us hunters (dog hunters or not)help to control themass amounts of destructionthat these animals cause and that there is no other way to control them.....and hopefully it will be enought for someone in the gov. to make the right call...........this is just my opinion and nothing more but i do believe that there is some truth to it.........i hope i dont affend anyone but id like to know ya'lls opinions so please reply.

I say we all just sit back and quit killin/ trappin hogs for about a year and when hogs are rooting up the rose garden at the white house then all regulations/ bans and everything else will be lifted LOL

hahahahahaha

Lesson learned uphere in the state of Mass. they banned fur trapping and guess what they have a nice out brake of rabies. If we dont control the popluation as trappers and hunters nature will in a worse way. Great how paper pushers find away to justify there jobs its only going to get worse. one law after another Now in thetown next to me in NY they want to pass a law that kids have to wear helmets while sleigh ridng you got to be kidding.( helps us we need more lawswe areto stupid to protect ourselves) Ok I'll stop its Obamanation for sure

dawgkllr wrote... I say we all just sit back and quit killin/ trappin hogs for about a year and when hogs are rooting up the rose garden at the white house then all regulations/ bans and everything else will be lifted LOL DANG!!! I hope I'm not one of those people......I thought you were going to the lease to check my cameras...LOL

herefishy
    I think that the testing only applies to hogs that are trapped and relocated for (hunting) purposes - stocking. http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/news/pr/...ldHogRules.pdf To my understanding, any feral swine that are trapped for relocation, must be held at a designated facilty for testing/observation prior to being relocated to another property. Theimplication that a TAHC official told someone that all the existing feral hogs had to be tested just doens't make sense. There must be some misunderstanding. Is the propery owner/operator introducing swine onto his property from another location (previously trapped?) without going through the isolation process at an approved facility? Mark