Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Ive been watching this thread for awhile now and I really didnt want to get into it but here it is. We were one of the two ranches they put a hold on, weve been to Austin and back talked to a pile of Dr.s and lawyers and Sunset committe etc. etc. Basically tired of talking about it all. So.. Testing is just about no longer an issue. Basically we have worked with TAHCto change the law. A game ranch is now a terminal destination. Therefore "approved" ranches, hunting preserves etc. can stock their places with boar hogs only. Sows & gilts are not to be used in a stocked area for hunting other than your natural population. Released boars are to be tagged and records be kept on. Pain in the ass... yes. Were still in business which is better than the alternative they wanted to impose on us. Randy

herefishy
    Thanks for that, Randy. In regard to the effort and expense for the game ranch, one must consider the objective of the regulations. Imagine the impact on your business if the Livestock market went to into the basket because of a burcellosis outbreak in commerciallivestock(on top of the current market meltdown / recession /depression). There might be much less business for sport, if the beef/pork industry in Texas was affected by the negligent transportation and handling of the wildlife. Kinda' like shooting yourself in the foot. Socially, if sport hunters/game ranchersrelocating wild swine were pointed out as the cause of the devestation of the Livestock market in Texas, that would be another notch against the gun-toting sportsman, firearmsin particular,and an attack against our liberty. In terms of performing a duty to the public, IMO, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the TAHC are the most effective government agencies in the Nation - definitely in the State of Texas. I think that these agencies truly serve the public and the industries that are affected by their activities to the benefit of each. Kind Regards, Mark

herefishy
    oops - posted in wrong thread - sorry Mark

herefishy wrote... I think that the testing only applies to hogs that are trapped and relocated for (hunting) purposes - stocking. http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/news/pr/...ldHogRules.pdf To my understanding, any feral swine that are trapped for relocation, must be held at a designated facilty for testing/observation prior to being relocated to another property. Theimplication that a TAHC official told someone that all the existing feral hogs had to be tested just doens't make sense. There must be some misunderstanding. Is the propery owner/operator introducing swine onto his property from another location (previously trapped?) without going through the isolation process at an approved facility? Mark Do you like hunting hogs Mark?Do you have a place to go that is free or extremely cheap?Well, thousands of folks do not have a place to go that is cheap or free. So they must go to a ranch. Before tach got involved, ranchers could keep prices fairly low. After tach got involved and stated ranchers like my self had to have hogs tested, the price had to jump to cover cost of testing. This put many ranches out of business. Now, buyers are paying next to nothing because trappers can't really go anywhere else. Case in point....A buddy of mine tried to sell a 340 lb boarwith 4" cuttersto a buyer who offered him 20 cents/pound. Iwould have paid 50-75 cents/pound for the hog but then Inow have to have him blood tested at an extra $250.00. Now, how can Iafford to stay in business?

herefishy
    Hi Nate, Yes, I have HOGFEVER. Yes, I hunt relatively cheaply on public lands andonNational Forests. Personally,I would not pay a wooden nickle for a "canned" hog hunt (or any other game) on a high-fenced game ranch in Texas, but I realize that there is a big market and demand for it - it is a legitimate business that is a tangible figure in the Texas economy, but I am not a prospect. I have respect for the business model. Myself being a businessman, you charge to cover your costs and realize a profit. If your expenses go up - you increase your price. In a sense, the increased activity to satisfy the requirements to insure the (security of the commercial market of Texas Livestock) is a tax. It is a tax that is incurred by every participant in the (game ranch) hunting market. The field is even... raise your price and cover your cost / taxes. The guys that are going to stay in business in the game ranch industryrealize this basic business principle - the ones that don't get it will go out of business, griping asthey headout the door. Or worst case, someone inadvertantly mis-handles wild game in a manner that affects someone's livestock, and puts everyone out of business. Regards, Mark

herefishy
    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    After tach got involved and stated ranchers like my self had to have hogs tested, the price had to jump to cover cost of testing.
    That I can recall, the testing only dealt with relocated boars. Sows and gilts cannot be relocated. That is my understanding... that if you have an existing (native) and migrant population of wild swine you are NOTsubject to catching and testing every critter that crosses your fence. If you are importing (relocated) wild swine, you must contain the critters, and inadvertant escape or release of the critters from your property is (a problem). I just don't understand any problems with the regulations... it only deals with relocation of animals... correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see anything else in the rules that I have observed. Regards, Mark

herefishy
    Case in point....A buddy of mine tried to sell a 340 lb boarwith 4" cuttersto a buyer who offered him 20 cents/pound. Iwould have paid 50-75 cents/pound for the hog but then Inow have to have him blood tested at an extra $250.00. Now, how can Iafford to stay in business? You would've paid <$0.75 per pound for the 340# boar = <$255.00 You could've bought it for $0.20 per pound ($68.00) plus the $250.00 for the testing.... $318.00... which is about a 20% increase in the cost of the (product). Well, it seems that you are being taxed 20%, so raise your pricing accordingly. I would suggest that you realize a premium on your expense, so a 25% increase at least if you charge a trophy fee (by the pound), or maybe a 15% blanket cost in your hunts would be appropriate if you do not charge by the head. Everyone else is incurring the same costs (those that provide the same service that you do). There, you're back in business. Regards, Mark

herefishy
    One thing that may be forgotten here, is that the wildlife and naturail resources of the State of Texas are the property of the citizens of the State of Texas. The boar that you are compalining about having to test to relocate to your personal property, for your personal gain is essentially "my" boar, as a citizen of the State of Texas. Althoughbeit, that the boar is non-indegeonous and not regulated, unlike the white-tailed deer for example, nonetheless subject to the same jurisdiction as a resource under the Consititution of the State of Texas. As citizen and sportsman, I find the regulations set forth by the TAHC to be reasonable and responsible in assuring the future of the game ranch industry, and the commerical Livestock industry, cumulatively. Regards, Mark

I got an idea for all the game ranches...............Put up a sign on your front gate advertizing Hawg Resort and Hotel.When the health department shows up and starts askin questions just tell them that you dont know how they got there but they must have seen the sign and wanted to check it out. Then tell em its kinda like the Hotel California........they can check in but they can never leave (at least alive). This should confuse the government officials long enough for your hunters to clear out your current inventory then the next time they show up you can reply "what hogs? We got no stinkin hogs here!" On a serious note................. We, the citizens of this great state as well as every other state in this country will continue to have to put up with being railroaded by our government until we collectively decide to change those in office that are idiots, paid off and in office for their own gain!

herefishy
    Hi Dawgkllr, I agree somewhat with your political statment, however the problem is not with any State agency, it is the illegal Centralized federal Government that illegally and unconstitutionally confiscates the labor of the citizen ofsuch State, and therefore distracts the state by concentrateing the efforsts of the citizens of the statesto recover the prior confiscation of their wages. Of course any recovery only occurs after the top is skimmed in order to finance the US World Empire... or at best the interest payments on the $10,000,000,000,000.00 of debt... soon to be $11,000,000,000,000.00 of debt. The federal government is holding the state hostage to recover the labor that it has absconded with from it's citizens. This is the crime. TPWD and TAHC are doing the inverse and protecting personal property and civil liberties. You are being purposefully distracted from the true violation of your liberties... WAKE UP! Peace regards, Mark