Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BEST BAIT

BEST BAIT

WE HAVE TRIED CORN,SLOP, & SWEET POTATOS. NO DOUT THAT THE ROTTEN SWEET POTATOS ARE BY FAR THE BEST BAIT PILES IN OUR AREA. WE ARE VERY LUCKY TO HAVE A FARM ,NOT FAR FROM US THAT GIVES US ALL THE CULL POTATOS . IF YOU CAN TRY THEM OUT , THEY WORK GREAT HERE .

Next yr I want to plant Keffer pear trees in several locations.There is also a company that sell wildlife pear trees in La.We killed 9 hogs at a old pear tree last yr on 6 hunts.Deer love them too.The deer would eat the fresh ones and the hogs loved them when they started to rot.

So what about the other market items for hogs do any of them really work all that well. im going to have to try the sweet potatoes. if i can get a couple bushels and not eat them myself lol.

it is illigal to bait with sweet patatoes in Louisiana and probably in Texas as well because as they begin to rot they become poisinious to deer. freash ones are fine but still illigal.

Not sure about sweet potatoes in Tx. Not sure Iwould take the chance beings they are poisonous to deer. To much money invested to poison them now.

didnt know that

its the only bait that i know of that you cant use other than live decoys.

Site Owner
    I've never heard that either. I didn't find anything about sweet potatoes on TPWD's website (other than some recipes and an article that listed them as a recommended summer forage for deer.)

Quote Originally Posted by Keechi
    Next yr I want to plant Keffer pear trees in several locations.There is also a company that sell wildlife pear trees in La.We killed 9 hogs at a old pear tree last yr on 6 hunts.Deer love them too.The deer would eat the fresh ones and the hogs loved them when they started to rot.
    Weve got a feller in Marquez that has a pear orchard and has brough us over 500 hogs in the past 10 months or so. He brough over 100 one week back when the pear were falling. He picks up the rotten ones and baits his traps with them. Its unreal how much he catches using pears

Quote Originally Posted by dougepooo
    it is illigal to bait with sweet patatoes in Louisiana and probably in Texas as well because as they begin to rot they become poisinious to deer. freash ones are fine but still illigal.
    MAN WE GROW SWEET POT HERE & HAVE USED FOR BAIT GOING ON TEN YEARS , NEVER SEEN A DEAD DEER !!!