Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BEST BAIT

txbhunter1 wrote... Not sure about sweet potatoes in Tx. Not sure Iwould take the chance beings they are poisonous to deer. To much money invested to poison them now. I HAVE BAITED DEER FOR TEN YEARS , NEVER SEEN ONE DEAD YET.THEY LOVE THEM . I REALY HOPE IS DOSEN'T JUST PUT OUT ANOTHER 70,000 LBS FOR THIS MOUNTH.MAYBE YOU HAVE DIFFERENT TYPES OF POTATOES?

I've been having great success with strawberry jello just poured straight out of the boxon the ground under the feeder.

The following was taken directly from the Louisiana hunting regulations. It has always been this way since 1959 and when I have asked why the law existsI was told that sweet potatoes become poisonous to deer when they begin to deteriorate. METHODS OF TAKING RESIDENT GAME BIRDS AND QUADRUPEDS No person shall take or kill any game bird or wild quadruped with a firearm fitted with any device to deaden or silence the sound of the discharge thereof; or fitted with an infrared sight, electrically operated sight or device specifically designed to enhance vision at night {R.S. 56:116.1B(3)}. It is illegal to intentionally feed, deposit, place, distribute, expose, scatter, or cause to be fed, deposited, placed, distributed, exposed, or scattered, raw sweet potatoes to wild game quadrupeds. Use of a longbow (including compound bow and crossbow) and arrow or a shotgun not larger than a 10 gauge fired from the shoulder without a rest shall be legal for taking all resident game birds and quadrupeds. Also, the use of a handgun, rifle and falconry (special permit required) shall be legal for taking all game species except turkey. It shall be illegal to hunt or take squirrel or rabbits at any time with a breech-loaded rifle or handgun larger than a .22 caliber rimfire or a primitive firearm larger than a .36 caliber. During closed deer gun season, it shall be illegal to possess shotgun shells loaded with slugs or shot

The following was taken directly from the Louisiana hunting regulations. It has always been this way since 1959 and when I have asked why the law exists I was told that sweet patatoes become poisinis to deer when they begin to deteriate. METHODS OF TAKING RESIDENT GAME BIRDS AND QUADRUPEDS {R.S. 56:116.1B(3)}. It is illegal to intentionally feed, deposit, place, distribute, expose, scatter, or cause to be fed, deposited, placed, distributed, exposed, or scattered, raw sweet potatoes to wild game quadrupeds. Here is your edited version. and I got it online so anyone who wants to can look it up for themselves. Now i was told that the law exist because sweet patatoes become poisonis to deer as they rot but I don't know it for sure, but what ever reason they had for making it illigal to use them must be sweet patatoe specific since it is perfectly legal to bait with virtually anything else but sweet patatoes. the only other exception being live decoys. other than that, corn , sweeet feed, fruit, vegitables, scents, minerals, whatever, all legal and commenly used. I gotta believe there is somthing to it. I personnally would have thought that deer would stop eating any thing as it went bad and maybe they do but the law exists just to be on the safe side, i dont know ..........

Here's one for ya. 25lbs of corn two gallons or whatever them big cans are of pineapple juice, two boxes(sp) of raspberry jello and enough water to cover the mixture up. Put the corn, juice and jello in a five gallon can and mix it up when mixed fill the can the rest of the way with water and stir it up then cover it and set it in the sun for three or four days then bait your trap or hog area. Good luck. STP

We are lucky enough to have a Bread source here. Once a week we go into town and get a 16ft horse trailer full of out dated bread and sweets. It last only 1, ( that's right), only one night. Let me translate that for you, 6 hours of unwrapping bread for one nights feeding. That either means I have a lot of hogs or they like it so well that they just can't stop.On the up side they come back for days after the original feeding to the same areas that we feed. The way I have it figured is that they stomp the bread crumbs into the dirt while feeding and are coming back to eat the dirt to make sure they are getting the last bit.Any way it works great for us.

I use fish parts for bait with great results. Just hang fish scraps in a tree after you have cleaned it of course and you will have many hogs underneith trying to get at it. I have seen nothing better to date and I try everything I can for bate.

I had a bunch of really large shinners in late january and I put them in a big bucket and put corn on top of them and then let em sit for weeeks before putting them out and that got eaten pretty quick.

really big shiners!