Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BEST BAIT

I was told that ducks love sweet potatoes also.

we had the bow shoot last weekend and crawfish boil-I baited a hog trap and 3 coon traps with the crawfish heads and corn cobs-caught 2 shoats and 4 coons in three days. I think we are so dry they will eat anything right now-maybe dougepoo and I can start making CRAWHOG

has anyone tried the diesel soaked burlap on a post, i was told they love to come in and rub on it..... another friend said he digs a two foot deep hole witha post digger then pores the corn in and around.... it takes them longer to eat it and they stick around more...

Quote Originally Posted by rusa7476
    has anyone tried the diesel soaked burlap on a post, i was told they love to come in and rub on it..... another friend said he digs a two foot deep hole witha post digger then pores the corn in and around.... it takes them longer to eat it and they stick around more...
    I am going to do the burlap and diesel thing on a power pole....and put a trail cam on it and see what happens...I will post any pics I get....I have done the hole in the ground thing and it works...but the 10 inch by 2 foot hole becomes a 2 foot by 3 foot hole after a while!!!! LOL

Keechi, just read your post, never thought about crawfish for bait. Good idea, ill run with that.

every time i put bait out the crows get to it before the hogs do.. i have tried every thing to keep the crows off but the still eat it up

Hey txhogkiller, Try holding off on baiting your area until later in the day, like an hour or so before dark. I had a problem with crows cleaning out my hog traps of corn during the day when I baited them in the morning. I started baiting in the evening and that helped a lot!!! Then all I had to deal with was the coons!!!! Damn corn thieves!!!! LMAO!!! Shane Ladewig >>--------------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

thanks hogdude.. i'll try that this evening

you can also use a small pvc pipe 2' or so with holes drilled into it . Cap it on each end and you only have to fill every week or so. 4" diameter pipe is what I use. Remember hogs smell it from a distance and dont seem to mind it being in a pipe or on the ground.

Hey Txhogkiller, heres what ya do. (now normally I charge for this info) wait til dark, get an old tire, stand it up and pour a halfa bag of corn in it, crack open a cold beer and watch how a pig can kick around a tire to get the corn out. it works, but ya gotta wait until the birds have went to roost.You'll need a good rifle for the pigs, but you'll only need a .22 for the coons. try it out.