Thread: Rubbing post

Rubbing post

I seen it in another topic here & thought I would explain it..Or at least how I do them. I use a landscape timber or a 4x4. I make it 4 or 5 foot tall. I dig a hole a I try to get them about 18" to 2 foot.. I quick crete the post in the ground. I use burlap sacks, but you can use that brown rope. I forgot what its called. I tie the sack vertically to the post with bailing wire. Now days I use store bought products. Soak the sack with it & they will rub it dry. I know people that use railroad ties or telephone poles the hogs like the creosote that they are treated with. I have always been under the impression that the hogs use the chemicals on the sack for bug control..I am not sure though. I seen it in another topic here & thought I would explain it..Or at least how I do them. I use a landscape timber or a 4x4. I make it 4 or 5 foot tall. I dig a hole a I try to get them about 18" to 2 foot.. I quick crete the post in the ground. I use burlap sacks, but you can use that brown rope. I forgot what its called. I tie the sack vertically to the post with bailing wire. Now days I use store bought products. Soak the sack with it & they will rub it dry. I know people that use railroad ties or telephone poles the hogs like the creosote that they are treated with. I have always been under the impression that the hogs use the chemicals on the sack for bug control..I am not sure though.

Weve done the same thing but with a cattle oiler They are used to put insecticide on cattle as they walk under it. Basically fill the oiler full of diesel or burnt motor oil. We chained one end to a limb in a tree then the other end we hung it straight down and cemented into the ground. Hogs will line up to rub in the oil. Your freerange success will go up dramatically by doing this.

A railroad tie covered in burnt motor oil works great.