Thread: Hog Wild

Hog Wild

Feral pigs are dangerous, elusive big game animals that hunters in many states have learned to respect. We smelled pigs long before we saw pigs. They produce an unmistakably pungent, musky odor that mixes oddly with the strong scent of swampy, muddy terrain. Fresh hog tracks marked the moist ground, and there were many places where pigs had rooted the soil like a pack of crazed roto-tillers. Trees beside the hog trail we followed were caked with dried mud two feet above the ground; a sure sign big hogs used the trail and "scratched" their wet, dirty bodies against the bark. "They're here, close," my son Matt whispered to me, then turned to lead the way through a tangled thicket of vines, cat-claws and palmettos. We stepped slowly out of the thicket into a quiet, dank woods opening, 50 yards across and completely canopied by towering live oaks. On one side of the clearing a huge oak had fallen, uprooted by strong wind. We moved to the tree trunk for cover crossing the opening, got halfway across, and froze as we heard pigs approaching. They oinked, squealed, popped their jaws and raised a ruckus. They were moving our way, so we knelt beside the downed oak, watching and waiting. We spotted them on the far side of the downed oak crown. There were six hogs, some coal black, some red, others white-and-red, a legacy to their domestic blood lines. It was an impossible bowshot through small holes and openings in the downed oak limbs, so we waited to take the first hog that stepped around the treetop into the clearing. Charging Fury The first pig was the largest of the group, a 100-pounder, with two- inch tusks that curled his lips into an ugly, pug-nosed sneer. He was russet color, but that was the only trait betraying his barnyard lineage. His head and shoulders were huge, and his body tapered to lean, muscular flanks. When he stepped into the opening he immediately saw us, stopped and long hair along his spine rose high in classic "razorback" fashion. Matt already had his bow drawn, arrow anchored at the side of his cheek. He released, and the carbon arrow flashed 25 yards to the pig, striking it perfectly low and behind the shoulder, passing completely through and disappearing in bushes far beyond the animal. A more lethal shot was not possible. But the hog didn't drop. Its huge body shuddered. He shook his massive head like a prizefighter ridding cobwebs from a hard punch, then in an instant turned, lowered his head and charged like a bull straight for us. It took a split second to realize what was happening, but once we did, we both leaped for the downed tree. With bows, quivers and arrows we clawed and pulled up onto the giant oak, just as the wild hog reached the tree. It stopped, frothing at the mouth, swinging its head repeatedly at the oak. For several seconds it hooked with its gleaming white tusks at the tree trunk beneath us, trying to get even for Matt's fatal arrow. Then it spun around and dropped dead. The whole incident, from the time the broadhead struck to the time the pig fell, didn't last 15 seconds. But had the big, fallen oak not been there, the story might have had an entirely different ending. In three days we arrowed six hogs, all of them with knife-edge ivory tusks. All but one charged the moment it was struck by an arrow. In fact, charging by those wild hogs was so commonplace we never drew our bows unless we had an escape route planned — like climbing a nearby tree. And the buddy hunting system was the only safe way to go. Years ago, I'm convinced teamwork saved my father, Tom, from getting gored by a wild hog. My dad had just shot a big Florida boar at 15 yards facing him head-on. The arrow buried to its feathers lengthwise in the pig, between its collarbone and neck — a shot that would drop many larger animals in their tracks. But the 200-pounder instantly charged dad at full speed. He turned to run, but lost his footing in the swamp mud and fell, lengthwise and facing away, right in front of the outraged hog. I rushed to my father's aid, but the pig got there first. Luckily, when the hog reached my father it stopped at his feet, and the razor-sharp tusks only scarred the soles of his boots. The hog ripped at his heels a couple times, then I yelled. It turned toward me, and I sent an arrow into its chest. That gave Dad time to dash away. The hog spun around, lunged a few feet and collapsed. Hog History Hog hunting hasn't always been available to American sportsmen, because the wild hog is an "exotic" or non-native species. Although the little javelina or peccary is native to Southwestern America, the much larger and more aggressive wild pig is not. Found only in Europe, Asia and Africa, domestic pigs were brought to our shores by early explorers and settlers. Later, sportsmen wanting to hunt European and Eurasian wild boar as they did in their European homelands, brought pure wild boar to America. Many escaped, and plenty still roam much of America, including parts of New England. The earliest documented importing of domestic pigs to America was by Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto in 1539. De Soto traveled with hogs to feed his men during his exploration of Florida. During those travels many hogs escaped, which left a trail of feral pig populations wherever De Soto roamed. Today, Florida has wild swine in all counties, and I’ve enjoyed excellent hunting for them throughout much of the state. Moreover, muchof the Deep South abounds withwild hogs, chiefly in areas where there are large river bottom swamps, and hunting in many regions can be excellent and exciting. Hogs & Dogs — The Ultimate Hunt A wild hog hunt with dogs can be especially fierce, frantic and frenzied. Those who believe it's unsporting to hunt wild hogs with dogs should experience it first hand, at close quarters, before making such a decision. Hog hunting is a rough way for even a toughest dog to make a living, and few hog dogs live long enough to make it to retirement. When it comes to playing with porkers, nothing takes the place of a pit bull. On a wild hog hunt, a good pit is kind of like John Wayne, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone all rolled into one. Hounds often are used to find, chase and bring a pig to bay, but pit bulls do the dirty work of holding pigs until hunters catch up to the chase. Standard Hunting Tactics Hunting hogs with dogs is exciting sport, but still-hunting and stand-hunting are great fun and very effective. My favorite method is slow stalking, always into the wind because feral hogs have as keen a sense of smell as the wisest whitetail. I once started a stalk on a huge wild hog 300 yards away. When the wind shifted, the pig threw its nose high, winded me and evaporated into a dense swamp. A wild hog's hearing is also acute. I believe their eyesight is far better than some hunters credit it to be, which is why I always wear complete camouflage whenever possible. In many states wild hogs are not classed as game. In fact, they're considered a nuisance in many regions, and sportsmen can lawfully hunt them year-round on private land with no size or bag limit. In some states, like Texas and Florida, it's legal to hunt over game feeders. My oldest son Eric took his first wild hog at age eight from a tree stand set near a Florida game feeder. The boar weighed 110 pounds, and it was a trophy he and I will never forget. Wild pig populations in the U.S. may be as high as two million animals. Unlike most big game, pigs breed year-round, and one mature sow can have as many as 20 young in a year, which can grow to 100 pounds in 12 months. This ability to overpopulate soon becomes a problem for landowners who don’t keep populations in check. While hogs are fun to hunt, and their meat delicious on the dinner table, they are extremely destructive. Hogs eat almost everything, and their tenacity for rooting roads, culverts and farm crops does not endear them to landowners. This leaves the door open for predator hunters who are only too happy to help property owners thin hog numbers. Anatomy Hogs have a just reputation for being tough, but a well-made deer bullet or broadhead put through a pig's vitals drops it quickly. The trouble, however, is getting the projectile into the heart/lung area. Mature hogs, especially boars, have a gristle-like "shield" or shoulder plate that can completely stop a broadhead. The shield on a big hog can be one inch thick, and completely cover the rib cage. I once shot a 150-pound hog at 10 yards with a 70-pound compound. The razor-sharp broadhead hit perfectly low and behind the shoulder, and knocked the hog down. But the arrow didn't penetrate its shield. We tracked the hog with dogs, caught it, and discovered the arrow had no ill effect on the animal. I've heard tales of big hogs shot in the shield with high-powered rifles with the same result. The best shot at a big boar hog is quartering away, so an arrow or bullet enters the chest cavity from behind, avoiding the shield. From a tree stand, a high-angle shot down into the chest cavity also is a good one, avoiding the "shield" plates over the shoulders. Interestingly, these are the same bow shooting angles many bear hunters prefer to avoid the heavy bone structure of the shoulder. But unlike the average black bear shot perfectly with a bow or gun, the average wild hog is very likely to charge even if hit ideally. Wild pigs are so ill tempered, a good case can be made that they are among the toughest, most aggressive and vicious big game animals in the lower 48 states. A mad wild hog has an attitude that's intimidating. An attitude even an inner-city thug better respect. An attitude that always needs "adjustment." An attitude your average barnyard swine could never acquire. That’s why hunting wild hogs is not for the meek of heart, and why they're rapidly becoming among America's most popular big game hunting targets.

Boars of Sabinal General Info As you can guess, the Wild Hog Chase is a major crowd attraction. Here are some facts about the wild boar you may find interesting. Texas has more wild hogs then any other state. Huge boars with big tusks, from 2 to 4 inches, makes a big "trophy" for hunters. Wild boar is the main reason Sabinal,Texas is proclaimed as "Wild Boar Capitol". It is believed that this area has not only the largest number of wild boar but also the largest number of 'trophy boar' then anywhere else in Texas. Features Known as the ”poor man’s grizzely bear” wild boar is one of the toughest, smartest, most tenacious and certainly the most aggressive critters of all the great outdoors. These nocturnal animals have their own preferences to live by. Sows(female boar) roams in herds with younger ones while the big boar prefer to be alone or move in small groups. A hog’s sense of smell and hearing are more actute then those of a white tail deer. It should be no surprise that the boar is now ranked as second most sought after animal in Texas. Hunting Hunting from trees is very common in the Sabinal area. Chances are much better during half and full moon nights then the days. The loud crunching of corn will let you know that hogs are wondering close by. Average kill runs from 125-175 pounds. Though 200 to 300 plus pound hogs are also aimed by archers year around in this area.

txbhunter1 wrote... Boars of Sabinal Sows(female boar)roams in herds with younger ones while the big boar prefer to be alone or move in small groups. Id fire my technical writer

Yall are just upset that he is an A&M grad.

Inever even saw that one about the sows(female BOARS)when Iposted it. LMAO Iguess if you are going to write about them, you should know what the hell you are talkig about first huh? Ihave heard them refered to as "The American Rhino" before also. Y'all are a riot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BustedAssRanch
    Yall are just upset that he is an A&M grad.
    I was thinking the same thing, some dumb aggie musta wrote this.

Just so y'all know, that article came directly from theSabinal Chamber of Commerce website and not from me.