hunting a new place in a short amount of time

Well we are heading to Del Rio this weekend to our lease. This is not new to me however I did fence in my feeder the last time I was there. I know how I am going to hunt this weekend because I know the ranch. My question is if someone is going on a bow hunt without a guide where do you start. Granger is a lot of stalking. My lease we have water tanks. Hogs love them. I have a hog pipe out (I'm sure it is empty). How do you guys do it? 2 Days 3 nights with a bow. No guide. No idea where to start.

Ihave learned that with all of the day leases I used to hunt, that a min to get to know the area is 4 days. Then you kind of get to know where the animals are coming from and going to. If it is a "Do It Yourself Hunt", Ihave started with the TPWD. Ask them questions about certain areas, next take a trip and talk to the locals, find something out about the area itself. Check out local newspapers. Once that is done, google earth the location and look for pinch points, saddles,creek bottoms and water and or heavy timber bordering pastures. This will give you an idea as to where to start looking. The best Ihave found is to go in with stand on your back in a new area. Once you find a spot, stand on it. Your best chance is the very first time of hunting it. Animals have no clue and you have the element of surprise. Just my experiences and my opinion.

I'd look for good trails in thick stuff near water!

yeah thick stuff with plenty of water and the most reccent rain the better. once they tear it up they move on. my lease last year was torn up right next to a swap, this year no sign what so ever. so they move and regularly.

Check fence lines I like to find a good fence break carry a ten ft tripod and hunt that opening. If you really want results buy a bottle of vanella and poor it out up wind of the break in the fence the pigs are sure to come to and through that opening for the vanella.

We are hunting a new place this year and we walked the fence line looking for fresh trails coming in and out, found lots of deer hair and pig hair caught on the barbwire. We set our feeder in an area where the deer and pigs had been feeding in a natural feeding area near the river bottum. There was an active game trail from the river bottum up to a food plot of flex grass near by. The blind is set up near this feeding area, hope to shot some bacon this year!!!

You can always use satalite maps to help you with the layout of the land. Talk to people who have hunted the land before.