Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stupid Question Here

Ok, I heard a lot about putting diesel on corn to attract hogs but I've never heard anything about the effects of human consumption. Are there any negatives about dining on porkies that have been eating diesel soaked corn?

C'mon...somebodys' gotta know somethin"

I had the same concern. They seem to love just regular corn. Plus the price of diesel. Plain corn works for me. No reason to spice it up.

herefishy
    Hogs love diesel!.... and deer and 'coons hate it. The advantage in spicing the corn is it will discourge the deer and raccoons and reserve it for the hogs. I have baited with diesel corn, and the results are phenominal - the hogs keep coming back, over and over again - even after the corn is gone in order to roll in the diesel dirt. I had sprinkled a little diesel on a fallen (dead) tree and the hogs ate and rubbed the bark off. It is now a permanent hog rub. In terms of enviromental ethics however, one may be concerned about the intorduction of the diesel onto the ground / into the waterway. You don't need a whole lot of diesel -apply it sparingly, it doesn't take much. Even so, some might find the idea to be beyond their sensitivites (putting diesel onto the ground). Another tidbit - is creosote. Creosote treated telephone poles and railrod ties - Hogs love it! I've observed telephone poles with 2 foot deep holes dug around them, and the pole rubbed 1/3 through by the hogs. One can observe the utility's previous replacement of the poles, due to the hog damage. Cheers!

OK HER YA GO JUST POSTED IT FEW MINUTES AGO FOR some one else Yes diesel fuel will keep coon out and Hogs love it take a spray bottle spray area with it doesnt have to be heavey cons gone hogs will come . at the orange grove where we hunt they spilt fuel the hogs came all the way up to the house rooted up everything around the fuel James younger guy i hunt with called me abault diesel fuel so i had to tell him as well thought he new .tonight we are takeing a Gamewardon with us hunting he has never dog hunted this will be fun lol everyone have a safe hunting weekend

OK, I know hogs love diesel corn. Let me refrase the question. If hogs eat diesel corn over a time period, and then we kill and eat the hogs, Are there any negative effects on us. I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear. Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

herefishy
    Google the subject. You will ONLY find opinions that indicate that the diesel does not hurt the hog, nor affect the flavor or safety of the pork chop. All I can find is opinions. But Iknow that the hog that I killed ate my diesel corn - I have her on a game cam.... she is tasty, and I've survived several servings of sausage, ribs, tenderloin, and pork chops - no prob. This is good question, biologically speaking. I will ask a biologist (if you don't beat me to it) and post back. Regards, Mark

Marshall, I have eaten pork that was taken that was baited in with deisel. i am still here. if it dont kill ya, it'll make you strong. If it has no effect on the pigs, you will be fine. The ones I've tasted, taste no different than any other hog.

by the way, did I mention I AM STILL BREATHING?

Thank ya'll for answering. Ya'll crack me up. I did goggle the question before hand and also found very little on the subject. I knew with all the hog hunters on here that someone would know something. I was just curious, not really worried about it, heck I smoke and I'm still breathing...heh heh. I have heard a lot of people talk about the diesel corn mixture but never any "side effects" of it. I didn't know if they were eating them or not. I know several people who just kill them and let em lay. I really appreciate everyones input, that's one of the reasons why sites like this are good, to share info and knowledge. I am glad we have them and really enjoy this site. Alot of good people and knowledge on here. Again, I appreciate ya'lls input. Happy Hunting!