Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The pig pipe

The pig pipe

Once Ihung a pig pipe from a tree. Ididn't know how it would work but had heard alot of guys talking about it. So, Imade one,hung it up and here is what Iwitnessed... Abruiser of a boar came to the pipe. There was a handfull of corn under it. He nosed the pipe out of the way to grab the corn but the pipe hit him upside the head to which more corn fell out.....You could almost see the light bulb over his head. He ate up alll the corn, then began to bump the pipe real good. At one time, he slung the pipe so that it was dang near parralel to the ground. He began to eat the corn untill he got clobbered by the 50 pound pipe. He ran around the tree 3 times as fast as he could then stared at the pipe as if to dare the pipe to do it again. This went on for almost 30 minutes. Iwas trying to control my laughter but it was most difficult. A few times, Ithought he heard me giggling but he kept at it. Anyway, that is the funniest story I have to date.

I've used a pig pipe before too. It doesn't take long for them to get used to it, when they do be ready to keep fillin it up cause they love them.

I talked my buddy into making one and told him mine was oilfield stout, he only put 1/4 inch chain and swivel on the end. We went to check it the next day,it was not there,he started cussing somebody stole my pig pipe over and over, well we got out and walked around and sure nuff we found it 40 yards down the way had been twisted off at the swivel, pipe was empty. I told him next time better make it oil field stout, he just grinned and said no s-----.

I use the black pipe that is flexible. I get it from Home Depot and get caps to match. I bore holes down the side (half-way) then fill it with corn and tie to a tree with the corn-fed end (mouth) standing upright at about chest-level. Tie it real tight so the pigs can kick it around. If the crows don't eat all of your corn, you should be able to keep them there long enough to get a good shot off.

I built mine just like yours Squirt. Only thing was i didn't cap it. The hogs ate it so fast the corn never spoiled, had to fill it like every 2-3 days. I like the cap idea though, keeps coons out and corn dry.

I cap the bottom. I used gorrilla glue on my bottom cap. Also, Get some Molassas syrup and some cornmeal (yellow) and mix it together in a old pail with some USED motor oil. not alot of oil, just enough and you now have the ultimate weapon. mix that stuff with a glove and put it on rope or a tree and watch them pigs. Black Gold? Grim Reaper? YEAH RIGHT!

I tought you ment a cap onthe top of the pipe where you put the corn in. I just bent the end over and put a couple of small bolts with a nutto keep it closed.

WE had one our pipes get broken off also. We looked for it for a while and could never find it. After a few weeks it showed back up next to the tee post it came off of. It was empty. I guess they figured it only got refilled with corn when it was over there. Pretty smart critters.

Squirt with all respect how many hogs have you killed?? i have well over 500 documented bow kills alone!!1 no joke not counting rifle or hogs ive trapped in the last couple years ive killed at least 20 hogs 300 lbs or better of my personal leases i have 3 of them! and yes using grim reaper and black gold. for some reason i see you slamming these products, granted they work for you but i can show you documented footage of them products working. let me ask you a question do you have hogs like this coming to your setups? before i used these products id have an occasional big boar but usually every week im killing a trophy dominate boar baits and attractants can work and not all work every time ive used them all and tried every immanginable type and home brew out there. heck they all work at some time or another when i was young i used motor oil and even better yet cresote, but a friend pointed out this was not enviromnetally sound to dump oil or other oil bi-products on the ground, maybe youve had some bad luck using these products under the right circumstances they can and will work The end result

I too have heard how bad oil is for our eviroment. How one table spoon of oil can ruin the taste of millions of gallons of water. That sucks to say the least. However while going to one of the tree farms I buy from they were redoing the street. As a waited for the lead car that goes back and fourth I look out my window and see a stream of oil runing in the ditch. I mean a stream. I look over to the work being done and I see a big spray truck driving back and fourth spraying used oil on the road as they are making it. They are putting it down thick too let me tell you. This road dead ends on the Colorado river. Guess where the ditch ends. Yep the colorado river so all that oil is running right in to the river. With oil being so nasty why would do they have the right to dump that stuff down so thick. Makes me pretty angry. I agree oil is not the best thing for our water table. However it seems like it is one of those do as I say not as I do type things as with most laws. I dont use oil at my place, or black gold, or grim reaper. Just good ol fashion corn. Not to say that those products dont work. I did buy one bottle of Black Gold and rubbed it on a tree and a fence post. The stuff has never been touched. They walked right in between the post and tree and went for the corn every time. The pigs where I hunt want dinner more than a rub IMHO. Just the fact if corn brings them in why buy expensive scents. Too each there own and each product has its place. In places where baiting is illegal the black gold I imagine would work great. Thank god you can bait here in good ol Texas.