Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hog lures

I can not speak for hog lures either but I can for deer. I've seen bucks walking across a field, down wind, and stop and make a 90 degree turn and trot to doe in heat scents. BUT I've seen bucks walking through the woods and come across the same doe in heat and when they come across it they bust and run, blowing the whole way. So from my experience it depends on the deer, like Gary said. I only use it when I've seen bucks bird dogging or when the setup is just right. Meaning the scent will only blow in a certain direction. Maybe into a thicket or creek where I know bucks move but don't usually exit. I'm assuming hog lures work and should be used the same way? Very interested to hear your test results Shane!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz
    I can not speak for hog lures either but I can for deer. I've seen bucks walking across a field, down wind, and stop and make a 90 degree turn and trot to doe in heat scents. BUT I've seen bucks walking through the woods and come across the same doe in heat and when they come across it they bust and run, blowing the whole way. So from my experience it depends on the deer, like Gary said. I only use it when I've seen bucks bird dogging or when the setup is just right. Meaning the scent will only blow in a certain direction. Maybe into a thicket or creek where I know bucks move but don't usually exit. I'm assuming hog lures work and should be used the same way? Very interested to hear your test results Shane!
    Gunna set that up tomorrow!!!! they should make smokes that smell like a doe in heat!!!! LMAO!!!!!!

PHEW You'd be a better man than me if you could smoke em!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougepooo
    jscorbett, tell us your sucess stories.
    And yes please do!

jscorbett, tell us your sucess stories.
    Wow, Doug. That's a heck of a pig in your photo. I hunt a place that is extremely frustrating in terms of trying to have hogs work feeders regularly. It is in more of an agricultural area. My previous hog experience had been in the flatwoods of Georgia - closer to the Okeefenokee Swamp. You put out some corn there and the pigs will be regulars, if you don't screw it up by being dumb. This area was a no - go. Pigs might hit the feeder and then not visit again for a month or longer. When I used some Grim Reaper and Black Gold, all that really changed. Pigs became regulars of a sort. Maybe not everyday, but certainly several times weekly. This was all verified by trail camera. Now, that's not to say that I have taken alot of monsters like Doug's photo there, but, the pigs did start using feeders frequently.

that pig looks huge and it is my biggest but at 271 pounds it isnt nearly as big as almost everyone claims to have killed.

My results for 2 different hog lures: I set up two different lure sites on the ranch in areas where there are plenty of pigs around, and put a trail cam on each site. One lure was Tink's Dominant Boar urine, the other, Code Blue's Sow N Heat urine... I left the cams up for two weeks. I had no pictures. No hogs investigated either lure. This was somewhat surprising, but interesting. I figured I would get a pick or two of something, like a young curious boar. I am wandering why? Are there too many sows around? Are these pigs too smart for that, what? Any ideas why I got these results? Anyone have experience using these types of lures? This is the first time I have ever purchased any hog lures and most likely the last!!!!

I would like it if you would put out a smalll amount of corn in those exact spots and see how long it takes to get pics. If they show up quickly,that would say alot to me.

the only hog lures ive seen really pin point and guarrenty a hog are Joes dogs, lol what about diesel corn i've seen that work , or candied corn.....

I would like it if you would put out a smalll amount of corn in those exact spots and see how long it takes to get pics. If they show up quickly,that would say alot to me.
    Doug, I will set that up today. I can almost guarantee the pigs would come to the corn. I have yet to NOT have pigs come to corn on this ranch. Anywhere I set up a stand and or put out a bait pile it gets hit by hogs very quickly. The two sites I set up were within' 50 yards of two different deer feeders that pigs go to almost every night. I put them on the south side of the feeder so the south wind would blow the scent in the direction of the pigs. What would it say to you if the pigs showed up? Shane