Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Article - 7 Bad Habits of Highly Unsuccessful Hog Hunters

Here's the new article: http://texashoghunter.com/7-Bad-Habits-Hog-Hunters.php Thanks to everyone who contributed to this article. It will be appearing next week in a newsletter going out to 250,000 hunters. I'll keep you posted on the traffic it brings. Thanks again! Neill

Those are great pics with the article. Article aint bad either

Like the article. That's all good advice.

Great article. Hogs are one of the smartest animals in the woods I believe. They can out smart ya every time if you don't do your homework.

Thanks for the article. It was interesting for me being that I have never been close enough to take a shot at a hog. I have only seen them run accros the road. Since that day I wanted to hunt them. What cal of a rifle of pistol to you recomend. I really like the 44 MAG. Do you ever hunt with a bow? Is the kill zone the same for hogs as bear?

That is very cool!Congrats.

faraway wrote... Thanks for the article. It was interesting for me being that I have never been close enough to take a shot at a hog. I have only seen them run accros the road. Since that day I wanted to hunt them. What cal of a rifle of pistol to you recomend. I really like the 44 MAG. Do you ever hunt with a bow? Is the kill zone the same for hogs as bear? .44 mag will work. If you look on here this is a video of a hog charging me and a hunters. 388lbs and he kills him with a .44 Its a great hog hunting round. Only problem I have is hunters typically try to pull the hammer backonce the hogs have got near and the noise of the revolver generally scares them off. Personally Ihave a .45-70 TC contender that I hunt with. Pretty much a hand cannon. Does the job perfectly. When I have youth hunters and women I carry a XD45 for protection and a tracking knock out gun. It has been a great carry gun but I dont hunt with it. I have an Insight light and laser that attaches to the rail that makes tracking jobs nice. I have not hunted a hog with a gun in over 7 years. All I do is bowhunt for them now days. I know nothing about bear hunting but Ill share my secret of how to make a hog fall wiithin 20 yards with a bow. Wait til he gets broad side. Follow the back of the hogs front leg up to his belly line. Find the top of the hogs body compared to the belly line.(whole body width) Now cut the whole body width in half. Shoot him perfectly in the center of the lower half directly up from the back of the front leg. With a good sharp fixed broad head he will fall within 20yds. I see alot of folks trying quartering shots. While the do work I get a large percentage of them wounded. If you follow my technique youll never lose a hog.

Vitals are more forward and lower on a hog...behind the shoulder, you may be in for a long tracking job. I lost first one I ever shot, shooting it like a deer. I got smarter in the hours after the shot. Now, it's simple. PINTHESHOULDERSTOGETHER! If you do that with a good sharp broadhead it won't go far. Shooting the shoulder, I have tracked one hog 75 yards. Everything else has dropped within 40 yards. I did heart shoot one once that must have had some air in him because he went 100 yards on a heart shot! Impressive. So the saying goes, "Pin the shoulders together." That said, if it is a quartering away shot, sneaking one in right behind the crease of the front should is incredibly productive as well. I'll also mention I've always had good blood trails with arrows and many questionable or even absent trails with a bullet. It's hard to plug up a 1 1/8"- 2 1/2" hole depending on your broadhead. I've seen a lot of bullet holes plug up, ending your blood trail when there's no exit wound. Don't have that problem with a bow. Good luck!

Thanks for the information - am new to the hog hunting arena but very interested t soak up any available information. Maybe and article on where a regula workign guy can find a good place to hunt without spending an arm and a leg? Thanks, Eric

Neat article...I'm not guilty of more than 5 or 6 of those!