Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: controlling

controlling

I would like to know what you folks think Is the best control method. I have trapped quite a few years & always knew that the pigs would learn not to go near the trap after a while. We would move it & trap a few then nothing. After hunting a couple of times with Joe I have come to the conclusion that dogs are the #1 way to control them. What do yall think?

I think that if you honestly want to make a difference you've gotta do everything you can. Use several different types of traps. Try snares. hunt them, however you can, with or without dogs. you may even have to try poison if you want to control them bad enough.

Good point Doug. If you want to truly control them you need to attack them. If you had to choose one to do the most control on..lets say 1200 acres. What would the one control method be?

i don't think that poison ia a good method, because you have other animals that eat the "treats" and then you lose live stock you want to keep and end up run over by coyotes looking for dead animals.... Have you heard of a fence trap? you fence in and area say 100ft by 100ft and you create a door that will let them in but not out they are not startled by the door slaming and dont rrealize they are traped until you come get them.... a friend in arroyo city tried it with an old goat pin and caught 35 hogs in one weekend...

I feel trapping is MY best method to control the hog population in this area. Here's why...I have trapped over 300 hogs in 5 years on several different ranches in Montague County. I have hunted them off and on over the past 10 years and have killed maybe 25. I have never hunted with dogs, so I am not sure how many I would have caught. I will say this though, my neighbor hunts with dogs every now and then, he has caught probably 25 or so in the past 5 years, and lost a dog or two. An added note: every time my neighbor runs his dogs on his 1300 acres, I have an increase in hog numbers on our property for quite a while. He has some very thick cover over there, and the hogs tend to choose that for their bed. From my experience, hunting hogs with dogs kinda scatters the hogs, and makes them someone else's problem for a while. And my neighbor's dogs go tromping though the wildlife "sanctuary" as well, disturbing the deer and other wildlife that live there. Doug, I agree with you, employing several different methods to control hogs seems to be the thing to do. And these methods most likely vary from one region of the state to the next. We caught 22 head in a 20 foot pen trap in one night, my hog trapping buddy has caught up to 100 pigs in a week in the same pen trap...He saved the farmer about 10 grand in grain loss and property damage!!!!! Great Topic Kevin!!! Shane Ladewig >>--------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

I will have to try the pen trap...I have not tried anything like that.. I do have a question. Your neighbor runs the doge on his 1300...& you see an increase..So would you say that he is controlling them pretty good on his 1300? I mean if he is running them off his 1300 on to the surrounding properties he is doing his job on his place. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by BustedAssRanch
    I will have to try the pen trap...I have not tried anything like that.. I do have a question. Your neighbor runs the doge on his 1300...& you see an increase..So would you say that he is controlling them pretty good on his 1300? I mean if he is running them off his 1300 on to the surrounding properties he is doing his job on his place. Right?
    No, they usually come over here for a while, but they make their way back over there once the the threat is gone and their fear subsides. To me, population "control" means to get rid of them for good, not just for a short time. It is funny, when I see an increase in hogs, that is out of the ordinary, I can call him, and 9 times out of 10 he will say he hunted with his dogs the previous weekend!!!! Shane Ladewig >>-------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

If you want to truly control them you need to attack them. That's it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hogdude1234
    No, they usually come over here for a while, but they make their way back over there once the the threat is gone and their fear subsides. To me, population "control" means to get rid of them for good, not just for a short time. It is funny, when I see an increase in hogs, that is out of the ordinary, I can call him, and 9 times out of 10 he will say he hunted with his dogs the previous weekend!!!! Shane Ladewig >>-------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member That would be eradication. Control is just that. Control. What if your neighbor ran his dogs every other week for a year? How big would his hog population be? I dont know. I'm asking. I'm just saying they are smart as all get out. If they know a trap is in the same spot, they dont go in it. If they know a feeder with a stand that killed aunt Martha is over there, they go 600 yards to the left. If they know a dog is biting off ears in this 1200 acres, they go next door & eat their corn..You have controlled the problem on the 1200.

No, they usually come over here for a while, but they make their way back over there once the the threat is gone and their fear subsides. To me, population "control" means to get rid of them for good, not just for a short time. It is funny, when I see an increase in hogs, that is out of the ordinary, I can call him, and 9 times out of 10 he will say he hunted with his dogs the previous weekend!!!! Shane Ladewig >>-------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member That would be eradication. Control is just that. Control. What if your neighbor ran his dogs every other week for a year? How big would his hog population be? I dont know. I'm asking. I'm just saying they are smart as all get out. If they know a trap is in the same spot, they dont go in it. If they know a feeder with a stand that killed aunt Martha is over there, they go 600 yards to the left. If they know a dog is biting off ears in this 1200 acres, they go next door & eat their corn..You have controlled the problem on the 1200. MMMMMM.......Interesting thoughts here......I'm scratching my head!!!! And my elbow!!!!! I guess if he ran his dogs a lot more than he does, and I had his pigs over here, then I would have to say he has controlled his problem for the time being. I am starting to think that if a person just tries to control his hog population then he is fighting a loosing battle. As fast as these pig reproduce, the offspring will be there taking the place of the smart hogs with no ears. Eradication might be a better alternative. For every sow I shoot, have I not controlled hundreds if not thousands of pigs? This is some interesting stuff.....never thought I would be racking my brain over pork!!!! LMAO!!!! Shane >>------------------------? TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member