Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: controlling

Site Owner
    Trap what ya can and shoot the rest! We don't do a whole lot of trapping this time of year because of the heat but we are out with the night vision 3-4 times a week. Probably average 4 per night....last trip we got 10.....you never know how many of the pesky little rooters are going to show up for rehabilitation class.

Boy this could be a touchy subject I do agree that all methods of hog removal are nessasary because every situation is different and not all methods will fit their area. If you have 1 acre and it is full of hogs and it is located in the city limits you might not be allowed to shoot your gun and running dogs would just be trespassing in 20 seconds so traps might be your only way. But if you have access to their nesting (breeding) area dogs are the best way to get rid of them. I would not use baits and lures if your goal is to get rid of them. This will have the oppisite effect. I do see farmers are starting to use wolf traps along their crops to catch hogs but it is the noise that they make as their legs are crushed that keeps the other hogs out. This might sound cruel but the farmers are doing everything that they can to save their crops. but it does bring up the question if you recorded these sounds and played them back would it keep the hogs out of a crop. So far the one feild that has had this playing every night has not been hit by hogs this year. Last uyear they hit it even with the noise. I do not know if it is from the noise or something else I guess a few more seasons of playing with noises will tell.

All Ican say to that Joe is they are nomadic. Ihave had properties ate up with them and after taking out a few of the lg'er ones and boss hogs, the rest have moved on, never to return.

There is no way to effectively control them. If they were controlable it would have already taken place by now. Only true way to ever control them will be by mass sterilization or disease/die off. (remember hog cholera back in the 50's)

Agreed, they reproduce too fast to control. Total eradication would be one of the only methods of taking care of the problem, but look how that is going with CWD. Bush Park here in Houston is a good example of trying. Trappers had caught upwards of 400 hogs from there last yr and now the city of Houston wants to allow 4 bowhunters in there to do a better job. HA, HA, HA. If trappers could get only 400, how many do you think the hunters will get. The trappers claimed that they did not even dent the pop of hogsin there with trapping them.

Quote Originally Posted by txbhunter1
    Agreed, they reproduce too fast to control. Total eradication would be one of the only methods of taking care of the problem, but look how that is going with CWD. Bush Park here in Houston is a good example of trying. Trappers had caught upwards of 400 hogs from there last yr and now the city of Houston wants to allow 4 bowhunters in there to do a better job. HA, HA, HA. If trappers could get only 400, how many do you think the hunters will get. The trappers claimed that they did not even dent the pop of hogsin there with trapping them.
    Exactly there is no way to accurately control them. Best thing to do is pick out whichever form of entertainment you want to personally use make a dent in a few and go after them. They are to smart and prolific to controlled by typical means of general hunting.

That's why we got Y'all Randy, forms of entertainment. You catch them, we kill them.

Without hogs, I might be called Frogdude1234!!!!! LMAO!!!!!! Shane Ladewig >>-------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by txbhunter1
    That's why we got Y'all Randy, forms of entertainment. You catch them, we kill them.
    And I appreciate your business.

If you got some of those air conditioned scent-lok suits, I'd come more often. LOL