Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identification

Identification

In areas with adequate nutrition, what do ya'll think the average weight is of a boar is? How about a sow?

I will go with 200 Boar, & 140 sow. My place in Del Rio they run smaller, They are eating brush though. A corn or milo field I'm going to have to go with an average weight a lot higher. I think another thing to think about is population. We are over ran in Del Rio with hogs with poor nutrition. I will stick with my 200/140.

This will be a good one to watch by the way!

Well from what I saw when I was down there I would have to say 190 Boar and 160 Sow

Physical Description Mass 50 to 350 kg (110 to 770 lbs) Length 900 to 1800 mm (35.43 to 70.87 in) Basal Metabolic Rate Wild boars are covered in a scant coat of coarse, bristle-like hairs ranging from dark gray to brown. Head and body length ranges from 900 to 1800 mm, tail length is about 300 mm, and shoulder height is 550 to 1100 mm. Weight averages 50 to 350 kg, though some domestic breeds can attain weights of 450 kg. Males are generally larger than females. Wild boar have four continually growing tusks, one in each quadrant of the jaw. Females have 6 pairs of mammae. Over the course of domestication Sus scrofa has developed varying skin colors, tail lengths, and snout shapes. Sus scrofa has varying ear shapes, ranging from small and erect to low-flapping. Sus scrofa is thought to represent the primitive condition of ungulates in that they have a comparatively simple digestive system.

The average wild sow weighs about 110 pounds (ranging from 77 to 330 pounds) and the average wild boar weighs 130 pounds (ranging from 130 to 440 pounds). Unusually large, trophy-sized feral pigs have been taken that reach three feet tall, six feet long and over 500 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by txbhunter1
    The average wild sow weighs about 110 pounds (ranging from 77 to 330 pounds) and the average wild boar weighs 130 pounds (ranging from 130 to 440 pounds). Unusually large, trophy-sized feral pigs have been taken that reach three feet tall, six feet long and over 500 pounds.
    DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS. The answer to the question is: BOAR Avg. weight......130 SOW Avg. weight......110 Congrats Gary!!!! Shane Ladewig >>-------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

LOL, Ilet my 2 fingers do the walking this morning.

Like Busted said, it will depend on what they are eating and how much their is available. I have always heard that hogs around brush country or hill country are generaly smaller than say hogs around areas where various grains are grown.