Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Identification

I agree nate. The hogs we hunt out west are much smaller than the ones on our ranch. When the corn, rice, and milo are in the hogs get very heavy

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Like Busted said, it will depend on what they are eating and how much their is available. I have always heard that hogs around brush country or hill country are generaly smaller than say hogs around areas where various grains are grown.
    i agree, seen bigger hogs in east/ south texas than in the hill country

Guess I'm the dummy here that doesn't understand the question. Do you mean average weight of harvested boars or just boars in the wild?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz
    Guess I'm the dummy here that doesn't understand the question. Do you mean average weight of harvested boars or just boars in the wild?
    I was assuming we were talking about on the hoof. Shane Ladewig >>---------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

In Hawaii it depends what island you hunt because of the isolation each island has there own gene pool. all weights are feild dressed. due to the high humidity well gut 'um as soon as possible. HAWAII(Big island) = boar180lbs sow150lbs Maui = boar150lbs sow100lbs Oahu = boar125lbs sow90lbs Kauai = boar180lbs sow150lbs Molokai = boar180lbs sow150lbs

Ok, I guess average Boar in my county would be 150 lbs. Bought like the one taken when you guys were here Shane. Sow probably around 70.

I have never paid attention to the sex, but I would guess the average hog out here in the west texas brush country is about 100 lbs on the hoof. It is a very arid climate out here with a large population. There a re plenty of hogs that get much larger, just talking averages.

Here in West Tx, north of Abilene we have alot of good farm land and lots of hogs. I'd say the average boar for the places I hunt is about 160#. However we shot several every year over 200#.

We have been blessed at La Mota ranch in deep South Texas with average weight of wild boar coming off the ranches near 300lbs with some hitting the 500lb mark, but these big boys run at night predominately and we usually shoot one or two a year and catch smaller pigs 50 to 100lbs in the traps!!!