Thread: Disease

Disease

I was thinking about this last night. My son & I were skining a hog & I knicked my finger with my knife. I know...stupid ass. Lets face it, it happens to everyone sooner or later that has skinned an animal in their life. I'm thinking.. TB, Anthrax, what else can I die of off a little cut finger?

Don't forget Staff, Blood Poisoning, amongst many other nasty things that can be found in the dirt of the areas that the hogs live in. You can also get poisoned by the dirt, pestisides, bacteria and then there is the Who Knows What that goes with it. I know just went through a battle with it myself when I had that carbon sliver from an arrow that was covered in dirt and was very lucky not to loose any fingers over that.

Economic Importance for Humans: Negative Sus scrofa carries parasitic infections transmissible to humans through eating undercooked pork and through contact, including trichinosis, cysticercosis, and brucellosis. Both domesticated and wild pigs are also quite aggressive and a surprising number of injuries results from interactions with pigs, primarily in domestic settings. Introduced, feral populations of Sus scrofa are responsible for tremendous environmental damage worldwide. Their broad dietary habits, extremely destructive behaviors, and aggression make them one of the most destructive introduced species across the globe. Wild pigs destroy native vegetation as they dig for food, travel in herds, and create wallows. They will eat native animals, such as ground nesting birds and their eggs. Wild pigs may also act as crop pests. (Nowak, 1991) Economic Importance for Humans: Positive Pigs are an integrated part of the diets of numerous human cultures. Pigs mature faster than other domesticated ungulates, have larger litters, and can feed on human garbage, making them efficient and valuable parts of many agricultural systems. Humans have taken advantage of their acute sense of smell for a variety of tasks. For instance, they have been used to find truffles, underground fungi used in French cuisine. In ancient Egypt they were used for "treading the seed." Their hoofs created holes perfect in size and depth for planting seeds. The Egyptians exploited this ability and used Sus scrofa extensively during planting seasons. Wild pigs (boars) are also hunted for sport. Miniature breeds of domestic pig have become popular as pets.

Pseudorabies Another important disease harbored by wild pigs is pseudorabies. Despite its name, this disease, caused by a herpesvirus, is not related to rabies and does not affect people. However, pseudorabies is of great economic importance to the domestic swine industry. It weakens pigs, leaving them susceptible to other problems, and causes abortions and stillbirths. A cooperative State, Federal, and industry program managed by the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has eradicated pseudorabies from commercial-production swine herds in the United States. Because commercial-production swine are now free of pseudorabies, reinfection via feral pig exposure would be economically devastating to the pork industry. Adult swine can be silent carriers of pseudorabies and will periodically shed the virus through the nose and mouth. Once infected, the pig is a lifetime carrier, and there is no effective treatment. Pseudorabies can be detected by blood testing, and evidence of pseudorabies infection in wild pigs has been found in at least 11 States. Pseudorabies is a fatal disease in other farm animals, such as cattle, sheep, and goats, and in dogs and cats. Wild mammals, such as raccoons, skunks, foxes, opossums, and small rodents, also can be fatally infected. The virus attacks the nervous system in these animals and can produce intense itching followed by paralysis and death. Although people are not directly at risk, hunters need to know that their dogs could become fatally infected through exposure to wild pigs with pseudorabies. To minimize the threat wild pigs pose to domestic swine operations, farmers should take the following precautions: 1. Do not introduce wild pigs into herds or attempt to market pigs caught in the wild. 2. Before transporting breeding swine, have blood tests performed according to State or Federal guidelines. 3. Blood-test all new stock before adding them to the existing herd. 4. Fence out feral and wild pigs from areas with domestic swine. 5. Do not butcher wild pigs on the farm or feed offal from field-dressed wild pigs to domestic swine. Both State and Federal laws govern disease control programs for swine brucellosis and pseudorabies in all classes and types of swine. Relocating wild pigs without negative blood tests for these diseases violates the law. Before wild pigs are moved, they should be blood-tested by a veterinarian to certify that they are free from disease. Wild pigs are highly adaptable, prolific animals. Thus, wild pig control requires a sustained and integrated approach, which may include various forms of exclusion fencing and cage traps, plus ground shooting, trained hunting dogs, and aerial hunting. Check State laws and regulations concerning feral or wild pig hunting permits, if required, for the various control techniques. Individuals should contact their State Veterinarian or the Wildlife Services unit of APHIS before moving wild pigs intrastate or interstate. Following the sanitary procedures outlined is important to prevent human infection with swine brucellosis and to make sure that this disease, pseudorabies, and other potential infections do not make their way into farm livestock and companion animals from infected feral pigs.

sounds like they do more damage to themselved then to us. but with an open wound, just make sure to clean and tend to it if not you also have gangreen and gout, etc etc i usually dont realize i've benn cut until afterward, by bone or knife, but wash my hands a couple of times the wash them with alcohol, it burns a little but totally worth it..;...

Iguess Ihave been one of the lucky ones in respect to getting sick from wild hogs. With all of the hogs Ihave trapped and killed,Iusually just rinse my hands with water and go right back to business as usual. Smoking, drinking and eating. Maybe I'm sick that way. LOL Ido however tend to overcook my straps and hams a bit to kill the parasite in the meat. Go figure.

Im pretty sure if there is ever a disease to catch from them Ill be the first one. Had hunters the other day trying to figure out how many hogs Ive cleaned over the years and its in the thousands. I can count on each hand how many times Ive worn gloves. Cant count all the nicks and gashes Ive got on jagged bone and slips of the knife.

i've never worn gloves... and i've killed and cleaned my fair share of animals... i just make sure to wash up atleast a couple of times during the process...

Quote Originally Posted by BustedAssRanch
    I was thinking about this last night. My son & I were skining a hog & I knicked my finger with my knife. I know...stupid ass. Lets face it, it happens to everyone sooner or later that has skinned an animal in their life. I'm thinking.. TB, Anthrax, what else can I die of off a little cut finger?
    Just rub a little dirt in it...it'll be fine.

A neighbor at hunting camp lost his father to brucellosis after cutting himself while skinning a hog. It rotted his heart and internal organs and the doctors didn't know what was going on. Scares the hell out of me.