Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

East Coast Intro

Domestic pigs were introduced from Europe to the Americas by Spanish explorers. Over time, some pigs escaped or were intentionally released into the wild. Subsequently, free-ranging, feral populations established themselves on American soil. In 1893, 50 feral pigs from Germany's Black Forest were released on a hunting preserve in New Hampshire's Blue Mountains. Later, in 1910 and 1912, Russian wild boars were released on a North Carolina preserve near the Tennessee border. Russian wild boars were released again in 1925 near Monterey, California and a few years later on Santa Cruz Island. Some of these transplants escaped from the hunting preserves. Many of their offspring bred with feral descendants of domestic pigs. Today, feral pigs and hybrids of the Russian wild boars are found in 23 states with the possibility of yet-undiscovered populations in several more states. The largest populations are in the coastal states surrounding the Gulf of Mexico and California (not surprising, since Spanish explorers settled these territories). Feral pigs are found chiefly in western North Carolina, eastern Tennessee, West Virginia and, in California, on Santa Cruz Island and Monterey and San Luis Obispo counties. Small numbers of pigs are found in New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Vermont, Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina and Texas. In locations where feral pigs have more recently been discovered it is likely that these "run-wild" individuals are the result of unintentional escapes from domestic swine facilities, escapes or releases from game farms, or illegal stocking. Biologists estimate the nationwide population of feral pigs to be around four million animals.

Another reason for domestic pigs being introduced into the wild is because farmers way back when sometimes had to abandon their homesteads for one reason or another. Maybe being called to battle, or something. They had to leave their farms quickly and most likely just turned their livestock, including their domesticated pigs loose to fend for themselves. Shane Ladewig >>---------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

i did read where that was very popular during the civil war the farmers didn't want the yankies to get the animals and preffered to cut them loose verses feeding the yankie soliders

Here in Leon Co. it was common practice in the 20's ,30' and 40's to turn out hogs in the fall and gather in the spring,after they had fatten on acorns.My grandfather and acouple of partners ran hogs on about 19,000 acres in Leon Co.Everyone would earmark there hogs and have a spring roundup.Now if you put out 3000 to 4000 pigs out you are not going to catch them all back.I can remember stories from my father how they took them to Buffalo ,Tx and ship them to Ft.Worth by rail to sell. I can remember in the 60's they turned out Chester White boars to breed up the wild hogs.My father told me in the 50's a large ranch brought in Russian boars to cross with wild hogs and I have seen their offspring in certain parts of the county.About 10 yrs ago a guy put out 2 yorkshire boars between Centerville and Leona and I have caught white pigs out of them.Now I was born in 1956 and as a little boy I can remember my dad and grandfather trapping hogs in traps made of oak lumber nailed to trees and a wire trigger on a drop door.A couple of these traps were huge(maybe 100ft by 100 ft) and they caught 32 one night in one trap .The trap then would become the feed pen.Back then there were alot more of spotted hogs than we have now.Anyway that is the reason I was told why we have so many around here.They are just tame hogs gone wild.

I know our population of mule footed hogs date back to the spainish exploration times. We have mule footed remnants of their ancestors today.

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebowhunter
    I know our population of mule footed hogs date back to the spainish exploration times. We have mule footed remnants of their ancestors today.
    That is interesting to know. I get maybe 1 or 2 out of every 10-15 pigs that are mule footed. I always wandered why. Shane Ladewig >>--------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

Never heard that before, "Mule Footed".

Quote Originally Posted by txbhunter1
    Never heard that before, "Mule Footed".
    One or more of their feet will have one single hoof, like a mule, or horse. Shane Ladewig >>----------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hogdude1234
    That is interesting to know. I get maybe 1 or 2 out of every 10-15 pigs that are mule footed. I always wandered why. Shane Ladewig >>--------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

hey learn something new every day what about the razor on their back, some have a razor of hair from mid neck to the mid spine, is that a russian trait...?