Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

HUNTING BEHIND A HIGH FENCE OR HOG FENCE!!!

Hey Guys, just wandering what ya'll think about hunting a high fenced property. I know there are some pretty strong feelings out there about this topic, so please share. I myself have never hunted inside a high fence, but I am considering it. Please feel free to explain your feelings about this topic!!! Thanks!!! Shane Ladewig >>---------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

One of the very first places Iever hunted when Igot to Tx was a high fenced ranch. 1100 acres and Ihad a good time there. THeir were only 4 guys that were hunting this ranch at the same time as I so we got to spread out quite a bit. The one thing that Ihave noticed about these places is that, if you want to get into the exotics side of hunting, these are really the only places to go. They are here for guys to take advantage of the animals that are non-native to the area and most likely you would have never had a chance to get anywhere else. There are some places that you can find free ranging exotics but they are few and far between and areusually private lands. So you can toss a coin and either pay a tresspass fee or pay for high fences, your choice. One other thing about high fences is that they usually run a fair amount of clients through their ranches and do it generally on a 2 day min basis. It has been my experience from hunting alot of them all over this state, that you can normally not expect to be successful on any of the day lease places unless you stay for more than 2 days. It takes you one day just to figure the ranch out, another to find the animals you are after and then the next 2 to have an opportunity to harvest one. One exception to this are the smaller tracts. WIth good vegetaion on some it is very hard to score unless you do your homewrok andlook at the ranch carefully. The smaller tracts most times will have little or no undercover to speak off and that makes the animals have to depend on the feeders for food. The larger ones that have room to spread out will most times have enough undergrowthand water to where the animals are not that dependant on the feeders for food. When you get out to west Tx, you will find that after the rains have ceasedand the green is gone, they will come to the feeders at some time, and if youcan get on water especially when dry, you can have a fair amount of successalso. Keep in mind though, these places, unless youare there for the very first hunt, the animals get wise and will not show up until right at or after dark. It is myopinion that some high fence is great for those ofus that do not have the land or opportunities to hunt friends land. If you are after a trophy deer, youMAY have a chance if your pockets are deep enough,but exotics are by far the bestto do behind the fence. Stay away from place that have GUARANTEE's. If you want to feel good about your hunt and want todo it behind a fence, find a ranch that has a descent amount of land to do itin. This way it is still a challenge and the animalstill has a chance for survival due to undergrowth and the abilities ofthe hunter. Icould namea num of ranches for youto do this on, but it isentirely up to the individual to make up his or her own minds as far as whatthey wantto hunt, how they want to huntand where. Do your homework before you book, ask questions,check out the testimonials and references well and have fun. Don't be afraid to ask and end up having a bad time. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have never hunted one. Why would they need a "high" fence for hogs? Seems like they would need to protect the bottom of their fence to protect the integrity of their herd.

I have never hunted one either, but I am considering doing a hog hunt behind a high fence. I feel that if the area is large enough and managed properly, the hunt can be challenging. It seems to me that hunting over bait would be about the same with or without the fence. You still have to put your time in and wait for the animals to show up. Kevin, you know what we are talking about. A game ranch type deal where there is a controlled number of animals inside the property. If the fence is good enough, and the hogs have plenty to eat, it seems they would not have much of a reason to go elsewhere. Similar to livestock. To sum up my feelings about hunting hogs behind a high fence, I would have to say that "a dead hog is a dead hog." No matter how, when or where!!! I bet he tastes the same!!!! In order for me to form a really solid opinion on this matter, I just have to go and do it and see how I like it. Shane Ladewig >>-------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

If you are talking high fence deer,IMO it is the only way to effectivley manage a deer herds.unless you have 10 to 15,000 acres.East Texas high fences are going up everywhere.On hogs there are a lot of guys that want to take their kids or just don't have alot of time.I know a place(hog fenced) that is only 40 or 50 acres with about 100 head of hogs in it.I GUARANTEE it isn't a cakewalk to kill a hog there.I would almost say it is harder to get a big hog under those conditions than open range.Hogs are smart any way you hunt them and I agree with hogdude "a dead hog is a dead hog".Hunting has gotten to the point it is big bussiness.And I think we will be seeing more and more high fence hunting.

I dont have anything against it. It is the best way to manage your heard. I just didn't understand why a high fence for hogs instead of hog or field fence.

Fences are a great way to guarentee a hunter a kill and offer a few more types of animal to harvest. They can be very challenging at times. I manage 2 fenced properties. One is 8 acres and the other is 100 acres. They are both setup for the clients that hunt them. I would sugest getting information from pior hunters to see if it is worth your money and if they had a good time. The normal reason for high fence around hogs is because people have deer and other animals in with them.

Ithink that guys that have only hogs, do not run high fences. Case in point, Langley Ranch. Randy and Joe have the low fence, but only have hogs in their pastures and an ocassional deer that jumps the fence. The guys that have hogs behind high fences also have other animals that they want to keep track of and manage.

I changed the title of this forum topic so I would not confuse anyone else about the matter. Thank ya'll for taking the time to add your input on this subject. Shane Ladewig >>--------------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member