Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BustedAssRanch
    What song are you whistling? LMAO!!!! Shane Ladewig >>---------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

i will hunt a high fence for the first time this year. and i do agree with gary. i am one of those who can not afford to travel to montana for elk or the rockies for ram. High fence gives me the opportunity to hunt and harvest those animals with out the extreme cost involved...

Well Shane, I had hunted a high fence this last weekend with Gary at Dos Plumas. I had a blast and the hogs are not easy by any means. This was in fact my first hog hunt ever and I had such a good time I am heading back down real soon for some more fun. All in all as Gary said earlier do your home work and I think you will find the right place to hunt and enjoy yourself. Not everyone of them is a canned hunt so to speak, and those are the ones I will hunt. I like a challenge when I am hunting and not some critter thats one step above tame and about the only thing you can't do is walk up and pet them LOL

Did any of ya'll happen to catch the show on the Outdoor channel today with Marcus Luttrell? It was a hunt at the 777 Ranch in Hondo, Tx. This place is obviously a high fence ranch with all types of game. Marcus decided he wanted to harvest an Elk. So they went out looking for Elk in the feed truck it looked like. When they spotted a nice bull, they got out of the truck and Marcus "stalked" up on the Elk. The Elk just stood there with a cow looking at them while they tried to get the camera angles right for TV. The camera man whistled at Marcus a couple times to tell him he was not in the shot, and then they whistled at him to wait till the Elk turned broadside. Finally the Elk decided to move off, Marcus fired and shot over the animal. Then he started griping at the camera man and guide about distracting him while he was getting ready to fire. He was pissed and embarrassed that he missed, being a Navy Seal and all. To make a long story short, he finally got an Elk the next day, and he was happy. It was a good show, but I kinda got a glimpse at hunting behind a high fence. I am thinking that the way they were hunting was the way Marcus wanted to hunt and that is cool, but man, those Elk seemed to be too much like livestock. They showed a shot of the feeding station there close to where he took his first shot. There was a huge gravity feeder and bales of hay out and stuff. I would have to say that if it were me, I would not want to harvest an animal this way, at least not for the world to see. Just thought I would share this with ya'll since it kinda made me start thinking again about hunting behind a high fence. I am sure there are other ways to hunt behind a high fence other that this, but this particular show made me think!!! If any of you saw this show, what did you think about it? Shane Ladewig >>------------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com ProStaff Member

Ithink that show was on Fri night and Idid see it. He got pissed cause the cam man keep telling him not to shoot. Then the elk just walked off down the BLACKTOProadway back to feeding. He got all pissy cause they did not think he knew how to shoot. Yes he did get an elk the next day, but the way it was done was sad. Ihave been to the 777 ranchin Hondo and aquired about some of their pkgs. Their get aquainted weekeend is 250 bucks or was at that time for the lodge and all the fish you can catch and release. They have alot of diff varieties of animals on that ranch and their is no way my pockets could afford ANYof their hunts. They usually drive around in the jeeps, spot the animals and then make some kind of stalk on them. Mostof the ones Ihave seen done from there are no brainers. As long as you can shoot straight, you're done.This to me is no challenge at all. I would rather stalkan animal and sweat a major load then take one in this way. Just my opinion.

I agree Gary, and Shane I was a very skeptical about the high fence thing when we went to Dos Plumas. As for the hunting there for hogs it's just like your videos at a feeder and waiting for a hog to come in. For the first time behind a high fence I would have to say it was a good hunt and if your gonna spot and stalk it ain't easy down there. I will go back again, I had a great time there and it was well worth the money and the experience, we don't have that kind of stuff up here get out and go hog hunting. That alone is worth it to me, after that I was hooked.

This is the best way Ive ever seen it put. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I've had numerous people "rag" on me for hunting a high fence. The easiest way for me to justify it to an uneducated idiot is like this ... My maximum effective range is 25 yards (30 on a REAL good day). IF I had a 360 degree field of view, I could effectively hunt an area that is 17,662 square feet, or 0.405 acres. If you're hunting on 200 acres, there's 199.595 acres left for the animal to hide or at least be out of shooting range. I'm not a statistics whiz, but it looks like to me, just based on your huntable area, the deer's got about 400:1 odds. Now factor in his instinctive defensive nature, his keen eyes, weary ears and acute sense of smell. So, now, even though you're in a 200 acre "pen", who do you think has the better odds, you or the deer?

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebowhunter
    This is the best way Ive ever seen it put. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I've had numerous people "rag" on me for hunting a high fence. The easiest way for me to justify it to an uneducated idiot is like this ... My maximum effective range is 25 yards (30 on a REAL good day). IF I had a 360 degree field of view, I could effectively hunt an area that is 17,662 square feet, or 0.405 acres. If you're hunting on 200 acres, there's 199.595 acres left for the animal to hide or at least be out of shooting range. I'm not a statistics whiz, but it looks like to me, just based on your huntable area, the deer's got about 400:1 odds. Now factor in his instinctive defensive nature, his keen eyes, weary ears and acute sense of smell. So, now, even though you're in a 200 acre "pen", who do you think has the better odds, you or the deer? That is too funny....Cut-paste save...

I have a question, what is the average number of deer per square mile in your areas? What is the average deer per square mile in The whole State?

Randy, I have to say that you have the best answer I have ever heard for hunting a high fence. You are so right, those critters have the advantage over us. If hunting a high fence increases out chances slightly, who really gives a hoot!! LMAO!!! It is not like shooting fish in a barrel by any means!!!! Thanks for sharing your math with us. I have a whole new respect for Aggies!!!! LMAO!!!!! Shane Ladewig >>--------------------------> TexasHogHunter Pro Staff Member