How does the fawn crop look this year?

My wife and I watched a fawn run around a feeder this morning for 20 min.In frount of the house,but I'm not seeing a lot of twins and alot of does with no babies at all.A friend down the road has 17 deer at a feeder at his house -7 bucks -9 does -and 1 fawn.The drought may be hurting us worse than we think.

Are you wandering if the does have fawns to begin with? Did they get bred, loose the pregnancy, or have a still born fawn? Are the does just leaving their fawns back in the woods when they come eat at the feeder? I have seen, plenty of fawns here, but not at the feeders, maybe 2 fawns with 5 does at the feeder at times. When I am riding around checking cows and feeders and stuff, I see more of the fawns with their mommas just out browsing. They seem to be healthy, running right along with the does. The does look good for the most part, some younger does are little thin, but not to where I am worried about their health. We have been lucky to get a little rain here and there, to keep things green. The deer are using the feeders and the mineral sites, so they should be fine. Shane Ladewig >>-------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

Shane I'm not seeing them in the pasture either.I was just thinking there isn't much grass and did yotes eat a bunch of when they were born.I walk my fat azz every morning and have seen a lot of coyote scat with fawn hair in it.And the babies should be about a month old now. my buddy in the hay bussiness said he didn't see alot when he was cutting last month

I see!! That doesn't sound good. Sounds like some YOTE huntin' might be necessary!!!! Shane Ladewig >>----------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

Ilooked at pic's from both my cam's today and have no fawns on them. Lots of does and small bucks, but no fawns. Guess I'll have to go and sit and see what comes in. They did however, eat every last drop of my protein feed this last 2 weeks. Right down to the bottom. Corn is brunt up, peas are all eaten up and only stalks left, lab lab is screaming for rain and my buck forage oats are seeded already at 16in tall. Pond has lost 3ft in depth. WENEEDRAINBAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went on a hog hunt this weekend South of Graham Tx. I saw lots of does and lots of fawns. The fawns looked very healthy there. They were running around, jumping and seemed to be feeling good despite the heat. The does looked to be in good body condition as well. Shane Ladewig >>---------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

I believe the drought is taking its toll on the crop. We spotlight for hogs and in the past years Id see 20-30 fawns a night. I doubt Ive seen a dozen this year. I had a doe that had twins in my flower bed of my house. I found both twins dead. I was seeing alot of fawns 30 days ago but not seeing very many now. I do have one that hangs out behind my office here. There were two of thema and now just one.

I have seen several nice bucks here lately though. Generally I dont see any bucks til August. Im thinking theyve had to come out of cover early this year to find some groceries.

That and the bugs are horrid in the woods. Iwatched that one buck at my place just a swapping at the bugson his neck.

Just starting to see the fawns around my house and when I pulled game camera pics on the 9Th of July at the ranch some of the does were still pregnant.