Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To Shoot or Not to Shoot

Hey Guys, Iwould like to know from all of y'all how many of y'all would let a inferior or goodbuck towards the last of the season walk in the name of mgmt vs shooting him to fill your tags? How many of y'all say "I aint shooting nothing unless it's big" and then dump a smaller buck?Or veen better yet, how many of you on a paid hunt, would shoot whatever just to get your monies worth vs going home with an unfilled tag? My feelings are unless it is a good shooter buck, let him walk if you are mgmt minded on your place and your neighbors as well or any other. Shoot a doe if you want some meat, cause there still aint no recipe for horns and no matter how long you boil them, they still taste awful. Public land now has diff circumstances. If you come across a descent buck, not really what you wanted, but one of the only ones you have seen, Iwould take him due to the fact that he isON public land orthe next guy for sure will. These may sound like conflicting statements but on my place, Ilike to see the deer grow a bit before harvesting them, whereas on public land they may never get a chance to with all of the guys out there. The 2 scenario's are comletely diff. and I think about them in diff ways. Just my opinion mind you.

I agree with you, on private i let him walk but on public land im gonna wack him

On the property I manage, let him walk. On public land, I might stick an arrow in his heart for the meat. I do not feel it is the best thing to do, but damn that venison is tasty!!!!! And Keechi has more likely been on my ass for another vid!!!!!! LMAO!!!! Shane Ladewig >>------------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

I guess I am at a disadvantage I have not been to an outfitter for a deer hunt, nor have I hunted public land for a deer hunt. Our place in Del Rio is 5 years or older for trophy, 3 years or older for cull. Does are 2 or older. Even before we had written rules we let all young deer walk. A lot of the people on the lease are trophy hunters & will not take anything less than 10 points or better & 5 years or older.

i would take the doe for meat and let the small buck walk... and on public let him walk.....

would let him walk

On my place they will all walk unless it is4 or better and big. My wife on the other hand, Iwould let her take what she wanted as it would be her first deer. This one here would see another yr.

I hunt for meat so you know my answer. If it looks tasty I am going to drop it. If it doesnt look tasty I will pass

I think this all depends on where you hunt. If you don't shoot anything under 4.5 years old and you neighbors shoot everything, you might be waiting a long time to get a shot at a mature buck. This will be my third season on the same property and I have not shot a buck yet as I'm trying to let the deer get some age. I have shot plenty of bucks over the years so it does not bother me much and does are great eating. I hoping to get a crack at a mature buck this year as I'm starting to get a bit of a itchy trigger finger.

You aint the only one bro. That Blackbuck 2 weeks ago just fueled the fire to get out there and stick something. LOL