Thread: The Hunt Photo

herefishy

The Hunt Photo

We are mostly familiar with "LEAVE NO TRACE" as minimizing our impact on the environment and land. However there is another important factor in the Ethics of LEAVE NO TRACE, and that is the SOCIAL impact of what we do - the impressions that we leave upon other people in our activities. The good old days of driving into town with the deer strapped to the front bumper of the station wagon are gone. There is no appreciation for this anymore. Today, the"station wagon" is the internet, and the"deer-tied-to-the-bumper", is the internet hunting photo; withtongue hanging out and a gaping exit wound at the shoulder. I recommend that special care be taken when capturing the grand moment of your success, that you consider the representation of the animal that you have taken. One should respectfully represent taken game. You will recollect your activity much more fondly yourself, as you browse your own memories in photos years from now. I have one particular photo of a deer kill from 20 years ago, that frankly I am ashamed of. The critter is hanging from the single tree by the hocks as I am holding the rack - kinda' butt over head, if you follow me. It was a wonderful hunt in which I took an impressive (gun) shot on a magnificent animal - but now that I recall it in my photo, the value of the experience is lost in the (not so magnificent) photographic record of the event. Kind Regards, Mark

Definately well said we do good to remember that you can not recruit someone if you ofend them first. Always say and do things so you never want to take them back. David Sellers

I agree with the driving thru town with dead critter displayed to some extent. But a photo on a hunting forum. Well if you hunt you have seen a dead critter. If you are going to start hunting you will see a dead critter. So a photo of a dead critter should not offend you and if it does then you should not start hunting. Cause you are going to kill a critter and this is why you have a gun. When critters die they tend to lose there manners and dont hold there tonge in there mouth as well as they did when they have a heart beat. Just dont get the photo thing. If you are mutalating animals and taking pics of it for fun is one thing. You got issues but just a pic of your kill..... Dont know of any hunters that are sensative of dead critters.

herefishy
    Hi Mike, The pointwas not "being sensitive to dead critters", but being sensitive to the people that are inclined to pay their legislator and ask them to violate the constitution of the United States in order to take your gun away because they saw a bloody picture of the animal that you killed... on the internet. Not that that is wrong or immoral - at all - not at the least... this is not what I am saying... other than there are people that are inclined to do that (take your gun away). Pick your fights. Then, from my personal experience, I merely suggest that 20 years from now, you may not appreciate the record of your kill as a mutilated carcass with gaping wounds, as opposed to a representation of the animal as much as possible in it's condition before you killed it. It's not right or wrong..... I just offer this for each's personal reflection on their activities, and to consider the possible sociologiical effects of what one does. Thank you for pondering my post... Take from it whatever you find valuable for yourself. Peace. Regards, Mark

I hear you. I just dont get it. For my own record of the hunt I doubt I will imagine any thing different than what it was. A bloody dead animal that I killed. It is just that simple to me. I understand where you are coming from I just dont agree. I agree about strapping a dead animal on the hood or toting it in a way for the general public to see like kids. As far as wanting to take my guns away, well I dont think this is going to happen. Too many of us believe in our right to bare arms andhunting pumps way to much money into the economy. Come on think about how much just the average joe broke hunter spends in a year on hunting. Corn, camo, bullets, hunting lic, fuel, scents, cameras, taxidermy, seed for food plots, more corn I could do this all day. Then think about the wealthy fat cat that likes to hunt and imagine what his hunting bill looks like. That is just the buisness side. Now to take away the 2nd admendment. Well dont see that really happening. They been trying for years and have not come close. Try and take my firearms or anyones for that matter. I think there are plenty of folks that dont own firearms or huntthat would still have a big problem if they did try this. Now for the folks that may see a pic I took of my kill and see some blood or a hole in there chest. Well all I got to say is what were you doing on a hunting sight if you were scared to see a dead animal. Hell maybe if they see it enough it will desinsatize them to it and want to join the hunt. I hear what you are saying but just dont agree . Right now as far as up loading photos it seems to think Ihave the wrong format yet it says allowed file types jpg, jpeg, .zip. And they are all jpg, or jpeg and under 5000kb