herefishy

THE NON-COMPLIANT (HUNTING) OPERATION

I am a native Texan of 45 years. When I was a young'un, my family went to the coast and harvested every gamefish that we caught, regardless of size - as long itwas sizable enough to scallop a fillet for the plate. In the late 60's,there were no size or possesion limitsfor gamefish taken fromcoastal waters, nor was any licensing required FOR ANYONE! For fish, crabs, nor shrimp. It was a free-for-all. While in high school, my summer job was a deck hand on a shrimp boat that worked Copano Bay (Rockport, TX). During the Summer of 1980, I earned my percentage of the take in excess of $300.00 per week in cash! I was 16 years old and in 1980 $300.00 a week was a pretty good chunk of change. Since then, Texans are required to pay a tax (purchase a fishing license) to fish coastal waters, and saltwater gamefish are subject to size and possession limits. Today Texas has a robust recreational fishing industry that is reknown around the world. The economic benefit to the Texas economy in recreational fishing is a phenominal boon! Also, my previous fishing grounds (copano Bay) are closed to commercial fishing (shrimping) as an estuary. The shrimp is the bottom of the pyramid in the saltwater food chain. The regulation and preservation of this resource has resulted in the growth in recreational fishing commerce, and the success and popularity of trophy specimens of saltwater gamefish. I have grown and participted in hunting and fishing throughout the unregulated periods of 40+ years ago, until today. And today I even moreso enjoy the natural resources of the land in trophy fish and game. In 1960, a 26" speckled troutwas unheard of. Today, that is the target. Nonetheless, the commercial fishing fleet is still alive and a tangible factor in the Texas economy. Today, a market is growing exponentially in the interest of the feral swine as sport. The population of the wild critter is out of control, and threatens the commericial livestock industry, that of which Texas is a prominent market in the nation and the world. The concern relating to the feral swine is the communication of particular diseases to domestic (commercial) livestock, specifically psuedorabies and Burcellosis. An outbreak within the commercial herds of such diseases could spell very troubling economic problems for the citizens of the State of Texas. The swine are the common property of the State of Texas as a natural resource. Each swine, regardless of it's location on whomever's property is as much mine as it is yours. As such the authority of the State agencies, Texas Animal Health Commission, and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, to manage and regulate our common natural resources, the wildlife of the State of Texas. On the other hand, the herd of commercial cattle owned by the commercial rancher is private property. If one were concerned of their own civil liberties and freedom, private property rights should top the list. It is unethical for the State to allow, or otherwise permit the destruction of one's private property. As such, the control and management of the feral swine is a duty of the govenment agency in order to protect the private property of the citizen. The swine pose a threat, and accordingly the State of Texas is acting to protect private property, and the rights and welfare of it's citizens, by regualting the movement of such swine and the possible diseases and other ecologic affects andthreats that they may pose or possess upon the livestock and agricultural industry or citizen engaged in such industry. Be forewarned, that the operator that circumvents even the recommended process for handling, relocating, and moving wild swine may well be contributing to the detriment of not only the livelihood and property of his fellow citizen, but his own livelihood himself and that of the rest of the citizens of the State of Texas. Most of the managed hunting ranches that I have ever visited or participated in have employed certified biologists who participate and cooperate with (State agencies) in order to evaluate and manage the "herd". These are the places that I have had the best personal experience, and learned quite a bit as well. Peace Kind Regards, Mark

herefishy
    bump

The feral hog is cross between a domestic and a european(what most folks call "russian") Europeans are actually considered exotics. Ihonestly don't know where the feral stands between native and exotic. If it is native, then it would seem that texas could legally impose rules and regs on the animal. Having said that, it makes since to me and others to let game ranches buy them up and kill 'em out. You keep saying "transported" like they are coming across a state line or something. You talk about them getting out. Well, Ihave personally seen a "legall buyer" turn hogs out into the wild that were too small to bring any money. At least on my ranch the only way a hog left was in a cooler. I was fortunate enough to be surrounded by hogs and did most of my own trapping from my neighbors. They liked the idea that Iwas somewhat thinning them out.

radio collar a hog and see how far he goes especially a boar in search a mate you will be surprised hence the reason theyve spread