Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bow poundage

bow poundage

Hey everyone its the want to be hog hunter from MN. Ihave a question. I've shot lots and lots of deer but no hogs. On my hunt this winter down south, would a 30lb bow shooting muzzys be adequate for a 10-15 yard shot a some small porkers? For deer I would say absolutely, hogs I would guess so. ANy feed back would be great guys and please keep your suggestions on possible places coming.

It would be if you limit yourself to "JUST"small ones. If this is for your child, no sweat, but hate to have a good one walk out and not be able to take the shot. If you have an x-bow and would be hunting with the child, I'd use that instead. JMO

Well yah. I am 6'2" 250 but my 6 yr old is 4'2" and 82 pounds already. The little heman.

right on man.......

May want to check, cause I'm not sure on this, but the min weight legal draw in TX is 40#. This may not apply to hogs though since they are not "game". As for will iot kill a small hog? ABSOLUTELY, with a well placed arrow it will kill ANY hog.

Tx this yr, dropped the min wieght for bows.

Quote Originally Posted by txbhunter1
    Tx this yr, dropped the min wieght for bows.
    What is the min weight now???

my girlfriend shoots a 35 lbs browning and she shoots up to 30yards if you tune your bow right and get the right arrows you should be fine but i would go with better broadheads like stinger magnus 2 blade or sone sonic heads they are both cut on contact and the are very good for pass thrus even with light lbs bow just my 2cents

That's just it, there is none. "NOMINWEIGHT". Which to me is wrong. Gonna be some wounded deer running around now because of lack of penetration due to not enough KE

Just looked at last years book. The 2008-2009 season was the first year to have no minimum draw wieght. My opinion is, at least 40# like it used to be on any game animal. Not sure what the TPWD was thinking when they got rid of the 40# min.