Green laser pointer

Has anybody tried to mount a green laser pointer on their gun for night hunting hogs? I know they wont be very durable. We use these at work for identifiing lines and valves in the pipe rack during the day and night. The ones we use cost about 10.00 on e-bay and are very strong. Any suggestions?

I have not tried a green laser but I have tried a red laser on my bow. One of the problems I would have is that on a dark night you can't tell what the laser is aiming at without some other light source and whats the point of having a laser if you have another light source that you can see the pig with. On a full moon they work pretty good but if the laser crosses the pigs eyes they will spook. One thing I've learned about hunting is that if I think something will work I'm going to try it no matter what other people tell me. Everyone's situation is different and just because it didn't work well for me doesn't mean it won't work for you.

I have heard of hogs spooking from seeing a laser dot on another hog. But that was in Georgia.... __________________________________________ Shane Ladewig >>-------------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

Site Owner
    Lasers (red or green) would work fine on a full moon or with almost any night vision device.....even Gen1 or 2. Just don't turn the laser on until a second or so before you shoot. Your basic laser pointer has some drawbacks...no windage and elevation adjustments. There are plenty of cheap, adjustable gun lasers out there though. (

From my experience, a red laser 'pointer' will shine a red dot on your target and just as Clark stated, doesn't compensate for windage or elevation. It's bean is relatively invisible unless there is debris in the air such as dust, or humidity. A GREEN laser 'pointer' is different from a red laser pointer in that you are able to see the entire bean from emmision point to the target or landing point. Arguably, more visual to hogs. Here's the crux: The longer the distance, the wider the laser bean (red or green), gets and the less intense it is. How far is 'too' far? Dunno. Depends on the laser's lens, power source, and atmospheric conditions. Alot of variables to consider for sure. There are many other options to help you see at night. IE: NV monoculars, scopes, bino's, and headsets. A less expensive endeavor to help you see at night is fixed feeder lights. Still another option for night killing is a weapon mounted light system to help you see. Or, what I do is use a combination of all 3... 1) I have fixed, low-power solar-powered led lights above my feeder to purely see movement. This let's me know from a distance that "Something is there." 2) I then use a NV monocular to access exactly WHAT is there and WHERE is the big one. (Often, a group of pigs will come into the feeder, but the bigger ones stay out of the light.) 3) I then switch to a scope mounted red light system for just enough light to see the crosshairs and wait for the shot to present itself. Works everytime....(ok,...well,...almost everytime...) Whatever system you decide on, good luck!!!!