Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GOOD EATER

another silly question from a Canuck....do you hang hogs to age like deer? the 3 that i have killed i did not hang two were good eating one was ....not so good

Site Owner
    Personally, I wouldn't.......When it comes to pork (or poultry), there are a couple of things that don't seem right. One is aging and the other is inadequate cooking. I'll eat a steak rare, but not a pork chop....especially considering some of the diseases that hogs are known to carry. It's just not worth the risk.

Agreed Clark. They also have a parasite that when cooking thoroughly, is not a worry. If not cooked right, it will make you pretty dang sick.

What I do is put my cleaned hog in a big cooler, either whole or quartered, pack it with ice, and pull the drain plug. This keeps the hog chilled till I get home and having the drain plug out lets the bloody water out. The meat is damn near bloodless when I take it out of the cooler to package it and throw it in the freezer!!!! __________________________________________________ ___ Shane Ladewig >>-------------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

i personally like them 80-100 lbs. (big boy likes to eat) and agree with hog dude bleed em good, ice them down and toss the in the freezer, but dont forget the glads they are all over and you havfe to remove them before you pack and always check for the ones you missed when you getting ready to cook'em. Finally when i get ready to cook the meat i always give it one last wash under cold water just to wash off grime and any extra blood.

Quote Originally Posted by txbhunter1
    Iprefer 50-75lbs. You get 8-10lb hams and straps just big enough for 2-3 people. Tender and juicy.
    I agree.....had an 80 pounder two weekends ago and he made great pork tacos Check out the pics attached

hey guys..i know you've heard this before...but i REALLY DO appreciate all the input