Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A tracking question

Ok, lets suppose you just shot a hog and you hit him right in the guts. No doubt about it, it's farther back than even the liver, guts all the way. Now, you do everything right. You slide out quietly without disturbing it and you wait for 10 hours to pick up the trail. What do you guys figure are the chances of finding this hog?

If a guy leaves the stand even quietly I'd say maybe %10 chance on a hog THAT'S GUT SHOT with just 2-3 guys lookin for it. In thick, thick cover maybe not even that but if it's sparce cover maybe better. Now with a good trackin dog I'd say our chances are way better. My experence with hogs is if they don't go down within sight they are harder to find than deer, NORMALLY.

without a dog, i don't know if you would find him

It all depends on what kind of clues where left. I agree that a good blood dog would help and give you better odds of finding the hog. How are your pups doing Doug?

I would say you have less than a 50% chance of finding the gut shot hog. Although, I have shot several in the gut with a Rage 2-blade and they only went about 50 yards, guts dragging the ground. Never tried tracking with a dog, but I would agree that your chance might go up using one. __________________________________________________ ____________ Shane Ladewig >---------------------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Saff Member

Joe my hounds are doing just fine. We have tracked 3 deer since I was out at your place and found alll of them. The dogs did very well on two of them and ok on the third one. WE tracked two from the same stand last weekend just outside of Centerville, Tx. and I even got me a small pig.

Ya know, no sooner than I posted that last thread I went outside to find my best and favorite dog had gotten out and been hit by a car. Beaux was put down this evening. I'm bummed!

Damn Doug, sorry to hear that... __________________________________ Shane Ladewig >--------------------------------> TexasHogHunter.com Pro Staff Member

NOWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dam, I'm sorry to hear that Doug. I'll miss him also. He was a good dog.

I still have Peyton and two others Who I never really tried to track with and I'm lookin at a puppy tomorrow.