Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

homemade feeder lights....

Wathcha got at your feeders?

Here's mine. It uses 1/2in pvc and 12VDC newer model veh dash lights. 1-joint 1/2 in pvc 2-90 Deg Elbows 3-tee's 1-1/2in pvc cap 1- micro toggle switch 4- 12VDC dash lights/4 LED type about 20ft of small ga wire 2-spade clips for attaching to batt If you look at the pictures, the 4 places that have the lights are short pcs of 1/2in pipe with the lights siliconed into them. They also are not glued, just inserted. The pipe fits tight enough that you don't need glue. Those pcs are about 1 1/4 in long but that depends on how much light you want coming out of the tubes and how much you want to light up. How long you want to spread the light out is your call on that one. The cost to make these is less than 50 bucks per. It is all made from 1/2 in pvc pipe. None of the joints are glued so that I can turn them as needed. I have them wired together so that if one goes out, it does not take the rest out with it. The lights are newer model 12VDC dash lights for your veh. They have a connection on the back like the newer license plate lights or older flash bulbs. The bulbs are a 4 light led bulb in amber color. What I did was solder wires to ea side of the bulb connections and then run them to a micro toggle switch. I have tried running them with my solar panels but they use more than the panels put out, thus dead batt. in a week or so. If you need more help, let me know or have any other questions. The amber glow in the one pic. is approx 6ft in dia and 5 ft from my bench top, so you can see it spreads out rather nicely. The bulbs will have to have the recepticles to make them work and they can be purchased at the same time from the same auto parts store. Ihave a .pdf file with the wiring diagram if y'all need it.

Ok, I got the pvc pipe layout. But what I don't get is the wiring,, I am real stupid about electric stuff,,, what do you mean " like newer model licenses plates",, Could you do a picture of the wiring layout. How do you attach the wires to the toggle switch?? . Also what size battery do you use?? Where do you suggest getting the electrical stuff,, Lowes or an automotive store?? Come to think of it how about you make up everything and I put it together,, Put a price on it and start your own business. There are lots of us out there who don't know how to do this stuff. As my old Pardner said " Everybody is stupid, just about different things".. Let me know.. Corbin

Walmart $20 not sure how long they're going to last but they work really good. Solar and rechargable. Low light but enough light to make it happen. 2 lights per stand. That was $20 for a pair.

Malibu solar powered leds. Harbor Freight - $10.00 for one. Put two up and you are good to see movement from 100 yds..

Quote Originally Posted by SirVival
    Malibu solar powered leds. Harbor Freight - $10.00 for one. Put two up and you are good to see movement from 100 yds..
    Do you have pics of this setup?How are they about rain and cold weather and such?

Not yet. I'll take some pics tomorrow night when I go out and post them up. They run off 1 AA battery each, and the box says to replace the battery after 12 months. Rain hasn't effected them much,...('course were in a drought...) and the heat doesn't bother them. Dunno abou the cold because they have only been up 6 months. It's not enough light to shoot by, but I just use them to see a black shape moving around, and then it's go time! Will post pics soon...

Opps, they are now even less expensive.....only $17.00 for two! Here is the link... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95745

Pack of three malibu solar lights. 5 ft piece of medium sized pvc and a screw on cap. Mount the lights one on buttom one in the middle oppisite side and one up top opposite side of the middle. Face them all the same way of course. Run all the wiring through the pipe to the top and plug them into your solar panel. Mount your solar panel to the screw on cap. Knock a fence post into the ground and slide the pipe over the post. Face it towards your feeder and you have bright light!!!

They will turn off and on with an already mounted solar cell eye.