Thread: .280 remington

.280 remington

anyone ever shoot a .280 on hogs, friend of son in law wants to swap a .280 for a 25-06 of mine.

Never shot one, but know a guy that loves his .280. If I was going to buy a new rifle the .280 would be a caliber of interest for me. The .280 with a 140 gr Core-Lokt has approx 2797 ft-lbs muzzle energy. The 25-06 with a 120gr Core-Lokt has 2382 ft-lbs muzzle energy. They both are fairly flat shoting but the .280 is just slightly flatter. In my opinion with the ballistic stats alone, I'd rather shot a hog with a .280 than a 25-06 but I have never hunted with either. Might be a good trade depending on the condition of the gun. Here's where I got the ballistic's info from http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...allistics.aspx

thanks for the info

In my humble opinion, both are excellent calibers for hunting hogs. Shoot either in a couple inches at 100 and they will serve well with a center of shoulder hold. I mostly bowhunt hogs but shot a couple lately at night over a corn feeder with a night scope with my little .22 Hornet. The Hornet is good out to about one-hundred yards with head shots or through the lungs. Just don't want to shoot a head on shot (scull much too thick) or hit the shield on a bigger hog. Many folks would laugh at the little Hornet but I've seen what they can do on close in work

My buddy shoots a .280 and the gun just does not miss. I have seen him shoot deer, hogs, turkey, coyotes, bobcats, and other Texas game with that rifle and he has never missed....not once. And 95% of the game are DRT!!! I do not really have an affinity for any particular caliber, but the .280 has left an impression on me. If I ever get another rifle, it will be a .280

ive been hunting with a 280 for 5 years now. 7 deer and one 200lb sow all dead with one round. wasnt sure that it would be "enough" for the sow but it proved to be the ticket.