Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hog GT

Hog GT

Do y'all do any yearly get together and hunt and just hang out? Ihave been wanting to do one for awhile now, ut coud never really find enough guys or gals wiht the land or access for us to do this. There is always the state land but you have alot of restrictions there, ie NOHELP to get the animals out. LOL If this is something y'all do yrly or would like to try and do, let's put it out here for all to see. Hopefully before it gets to dam hot. txbhunter1,NAHC LM,RMEF LM, NRAMember,Lonestar Bowhunter

Would love to do it. I dont personally have a place to host it. Most people I dont think have enough room to have multiple guys hunting it safly with rifles. Wish TX had more public hunting lands and allowed rifles hunting. Dont have a bow or even know how to shoot one. Need to learn. Any way count me in even if it is public land. I can atleast see the harvest and help drag, hold the light or something usefull.

Dirty Mike, Not sure what you are talking abour as far as not having a bowto be able to hunt them here in Tx. You do not need one. Hogs down here can be taken by any legal means, shotgun,rifle,pistol,BP,Bow,Crossbow. They are a non-game animal therefore pretty much, whatever goes.

herefishy
    The National Forests allow "all legal means" for hogs. As a mtter of fact, Sam Houston NF has some archery only areas, one area not so far from "the swamp" - which is a popular hunting area west of the Lake. Mark

Are you talking the Caddo or maybe Stubblefeld area?

herefishy
    txbhunter1 wrote... Are you talking the Caddo or maybe Stubblefeld area? Well, I was thinking particularly of Sam Houston, Davy Crockett, Sabine, and Angelina. The Caddo and LBJ grasslands are WMA's, but I don't thing are as general in terms of activity as the full blown "National Forests". See information here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/ Regards, Mark

There used to be some pretty good hog hunting around the Stubblefield Lake and camp area, but most was best accessible by boat back up the creeks into the west fork and McDonald creek area's. Just so dam hard to get to now days, and the Sagos give you away too fast. Ihad a couple of other areas up there also but the hogs have since then moved on. This is all in the Sam Houston Forest. Have not found many places in the Davy Crockett yet. Not alot of scouting up there. Have found some up around Woodville and the Nueches Dam B area. Lots of gators to tend with up there.

Ihave hosted such "get togethers"on my ranch in the past. I love hosting such things. It looks as if my ranch is going to sell soon. Iwill be out of pocket in the hunting business for a season but will get back in it soon.

Well Nate, if you have to give up the farm, we ALL hope you got a good price for it. Giving up hunting land is like realizing after you have gotten in your treestand, that you forgot to grab your release when MR BIGis 10 yds away and has not a clue you are there. Good luck.

Well let me know if you all get together and count me in...