herefishy

GRANGER WMA - USDA helicopter harvest performed

I went out Granger today (Pecan Grove). Took my counter-clockwise stalk from the spillway, North along the telephone lines and to the river. On the way backWest along the ridge of the old river bottom, I ran up on a 30-pounder with a gut shot. Looked like barely more than a day old. There were 1,400 buzzards hootin' it up in the trees on the other side of the river bottom. as I counter-clockwised around, I could hearthe yotes fighting over carcass (Ny lord who couldn't hear it... it was a ruckus), Seemingly in or on the other side of the river bottom. I would've checked it out and stuck a bobcat or a yote for carpeting - but it was too late in the hunt to find the activity - getting late. scooting along the road that parallels the dam, at one of the couple of grass meadows, I found the front-loader tractor tracks, and the scoop up to the pile of about 8 hog carcasses. There were a couple of little/medium sized jaws lying around the original pile on the other side of the road. As I further headed south to the lookover at the spillway, I ran across another little area with some small verterbrae - I assume the yotes and bobcats ate those for hours dourves - the location was certainly fresh kill. Cheers! to the hunter that I spied on the other side of the draw, going East along the spillway drainage. Mark

You know that the last time Ihunted over there and they did this hunt by helicopter, they were going to use lead buckshot so as if it did not kill the hog, at least they would run off and die of lead poisoning somewhere. Now with the neverending battle we face with the anti's and the OMGthe deer haveppm traces of lead in them from YOURbullets. Ido not believe this is a good practice. We have a hard enough time keeping or hunting rights going withoutthe gov, helping get rid of them.But, like Isaid been several yrs since Ihunted there and they may be using steel shot by now.

they'd be better off just selling some permits to hunt with dogs and have a short dog season like the sam houston national forest does. at least let some of the meat get used. would also cut down on the number of hogs the helicopters leave wounde, and make the wma some money instead of costing.

No kidding. Isuggested that when Ihad the state hunt over there but they feel that the nieghboring farmers needed some kind of immediate solution. They even stated that they did not care about killing them right off the bat. As long as they got some lead into them, they would run off nad die somewhere else. All at our costs and a great cost besides. Let us hunt them anytime, with any means and it would allow them to recoup some money they have wasted.